Sacramento County Crowing Fowl- Here we go again...

Hoody's Human

Chirping
10 Years
May 10, 2011
~URGENT UPDATE~
Everyone: Kevin Romo called and advised us all to attend the County Planning Meeting:

DECEMBER 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM
COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
COUNTY OF SACRAMENTO
700 H STREET SUITE 1450
SACRAMENTO, CA 95814
As per usual: Call 72 hours before to confirm agenda, date/time.

Check this link for the agenda when it's finally available:
http://www.agendanet.saccounty.net/sirepub/meetresults.aspx?meettype=County%20Planning%20Commission%20Meetings
If you remember from the Oct. 27th meeting, Supervisor Serna recommended that the crowing fowl ban be removed from the zoning code amendments and revert back to the way it was before the July 22nd vote. The County Counsel said that they couldn't do that because it had to go back to the Planning Commission first. This will be that meeting and your attendance, emails, letters, and comments are needed. Thank you and hope to see you there.

~I've received a request for the Planning Commission Contact list. Here is what I have- hope this helps.

SACRAMENTO COUNTY
PLANNING COMMISSION

CARA MARTINSON 1st District
700 H Street, Room 2450 Expires 1/31/18
Sacramento, CA 95814
[email protected]

ALAN HOM 2nd District
700 H Street, Room 2450 446-7741 (work) Expires 1/31/17
Sacramento, CA 95814
[email protected]

DONN REINERS 3RD DISTRICT
700 H Street, Room 2450 Expires 1/31/18
Sacramento, CA 95814
[email protected]

LUCILLE van OMMERING 4th District
700 H Street, Room 2450 Expires 1/31/17
Sacramento, CA 95814
[email protected]

JAMES SHELBY 5th District
700 H Street, Room 2450 Expires 1/31/17
Sacramento, CA 95814
james_c_shelby @yahoo.com

MEETING DAYS: 2nd and 4th Monday of Each Month

MEETING TIME: 5:30 PM

MEETING LOCATION: 700 "H" Street, Room 1450, Sacramento, CA

MAILING ADDRESS FOR ALL COMMISSION MEMBERS IS
700 “H” STREET, SUITE 2450, SACRAMENTO CA 95814
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CALL (916) 874-7891

Last edited:
SACRAMENTO COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING REMINDER:

Please try and make the meeting on Monday December 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM. We need to make sure that the Commissioners re-set the zoning code to what it was before the Supervisors voted on it on July 22, 2015, as was requested by Supervisor Serna, Chairman of the Board, at the end of the 10/27/2015 meeting. Our agenda item is "contested" which means that a group of pro-ban people will be coming to the meeting. We need to outnumber them.

After the Planning Commission votes on Monday, it will go back to the Sacto. County Board of Supervisors to be voted on once more and hopefully, finally, be a done deal- amen.

Location: County Administration Building, 700 H St, Room 1450. As per usual, check their website for date/time/agenda changes 72 hours before the meeting is scheduled.
http://www.agendanet.saccounty.net/...?meettype=County Planning Commission Meetings

If you cannot come, please email or call the County Planning Commissioners listed in my previous post. They all share the same phone number: (916) 874-5411.

Thank you so much for all of your support. Happy holidays.

Last edited:
All: We prevailed again! YEAH!!!

On Dec.14th, the Sacramento County Planning Commission recommended that the zoning code amendment of July 22, 2015 to ban crowing fowl on unincorporated R1-R7 properties be repealed unanimously and the zoning code should be set back to the way it was before (with a couple of minor changes to its verbiage). They will send their recommendation back to the Board of Supervisors to be voted on (again). I don't know when this vote will be scheduled or if we need to show up in force yet. I will keep you posted.

Happy holidays and thank you all for your support.

Last edited:
EVERYONE: WE ARE ALMOST THERE!!!
On Tuesday February 9th at 10:30 AM the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors will be voting to repeal the Crowing Fowl Ban. As stated in the above thread, this amendment was unanimously passed by the County Planning Commission. It is item # 34 on the proposed agenda.

10:30 AM -- PLNP2012-00092 - Amendments To The Sacramento County Zoning Code Relating To The Regulation Of Crowing Fowl; Applicant: Department Of Community Development; APN: Countywide; Environmental Document: Negative Declaration (Community Development)
Supervisorial District(s): All

Here is the link to their tentative agenda page:
http://www.agendanet.saccounty.net/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=11713&doctype=AGENDA

I encourage anyone who can attend the meeting to please do so. As always, this is subject to change. Please check ahead before attending for agenda changes or postponements.
If you are unable to come, please call the Supervisors and thank them for their support and approval for repealing the Crowing Fowl Ban. Let's see this thing through to the finish. Then, we'll really have something to crow about!

~~~I want to thank all of you who participated in getting this ban overturned.

Last edited:
I wish I could come but I just got tagged by Rancho Cordova animal control for having a roo. I know who the complaining neighbor is... A new move in behind me. The other surrounding neighbors said they did not care if I had my roo.

Thank god we are closing on a home in placerville on Monday. The officer said I had to get rid of the roo by Monday! So I just called him and let him know we don't sign papers till 4:30 pm and won't get the keys till end of day leaving me no time to move roo on Monday.

So I am left scrambeling Tuesday To go up and clear some acreage so I can build a coop for my boys. They think I have just one roo but I have 2 adults and a young up and coming and I am not getting rid of them! They are all too sweet!!

So I won't be able to attend the meeting but my prayers are with all that can go!:rolleyes::(:(

Hey Silky Ma: Sorry you got tagged for your roo. And sorry to see you go. As you know, Rancho is incorporated and has its own chicken laws. Thank you for posting my "Cocks Matter" flyer on BYC and for all your support even though you weren't directly effected by the ban. Hope your new digs in Placerville are more chicken (rooster) friendly. Be well!

Last edited:
Thank you hoody, so far the house in placerville doesn't look like it will go thru. The guy won't leave and the seller/ realtor/ probate - foreclosure lawyer is asking for another extension. OMG!
Rancho animal control is actually working with me. I have a 3 week reprieve. They know that I love my boys and the gentleman that complained did not care about the day crowing just the morning crowing. So while we wait on the other side to respond to our emails my Roos come in before day break, crow their hearts out and then go out for the day.

I have silky Roos and I have found silkies to be very trainable and very smart. The boys will start crowing during the day then immidiately show up at the back door waiting for me to let them in where they get their crow on , preen, get a treat and when done they will tell me they want back out. My hubby and girlfriend just shake their heads at the sight. They can't believe the Roos know they need to come in to crow.

So for now we are all happy and safe and while we wait for the other side to respond we will keep looking for acreage in the foothills.

Back
Top Bottom