protein supplements for game bird feed

xiang

Hatching
Oct 10, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I just picked up a 50lb bag of commercial quail feed from a local shop. It's from Tucker Mills, but the protein content is only 20%. They didn't have any better options that were unmedicated. I've got some newly hatched chicks so I figure I need to up the protein.

I've seen mention of supplementing with soy, greens and other things. The feed store did carry 50lb bags of soy meal but I don't need that much. Ultimately I think something that I can consistently mix into a large-ish quantity of the layer feed would be preferable. I have pure, unflavored whey protein, but the lactose content may be problematic.

Perhaps soy is the best bet? Is there an ingredient that's cheap and readily available at grocers or on Amazon?

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you, but I have been using spirulina to supplement protein...and a host of other nutrients (its FULL of goodies) . It's definitely not the cheapest thing on the shelf,...but After almost 20yrs of raising birds, it's hands down the clear winner. I could go on and on about the dramatic differences I've seen since adding it as a supplement... but a quick Google search will show you all the nutrients packed in the green goodness. Again, not cheap... but there's nothing else like it out there. I'm not a spirulina broker or anything...just for the record lol. Definitely something you may want to look into..
and if you do have questions, I'm more than willing to answer.

Would millet or ground maize not work? Cooked lentils / beans can also be a good source of protein but whilst my birds love them, they do not agree with their digestive system all that well (I only give them millet these days as a treat).

How much of the supplement do you feed them? Do you use a commercial feed or make your own? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom