Bully chickens

Pearle

Hatching
Nov 8, 2015
I have 6 chickens and most of them are molting but there is one that has gone through a severe molting. She lost at least half of her feathers although they are coming back quickly now. My problem is I have had to protect her from the other 5 because they peck her and run her off. I let them all out of the coop each day so she can easily get away from their bullying. This morning, since it is raining here I left them all in their coop and just happened to see her caught up in a corner pecking her. I just know that if I didn't rescue her they would kill her. So I managed to let her out and kept the others inside the coop. My question to everyone is will they ever accept her back into the flock or is she doomed. I don't know what to do because we are leaving in a few days and will be gone about 4 days. I am afraid to leave her in there with the rest. Any suggestions? I appreciate any ideas. Georgia (Pearle)

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Pecking order issues are always difficult. Can you section off a part of the coop to keep her a part of the flock, but safe from harm?

Could you use wire to partition off the coop& run so she has a section where they can't hurt her?. They are probably keeping her away from the feed and water, so she should have her own. A hen apron might cover enough of her, so they aren't as tempted to pluck her feathers. You can also use Blue Kote product, which has a bad taste in hopes it will diminish their attitude. The blue coloring camouflages and bleeding or wounded areas. They also sound mean enough where you should put "pinless peepers' on them. It prevents birds from seeing straight ahead so their aim is off, and probably they will focus on the peepers and be annoyed enough to leave her alone.

Chickens most certainly can become cannibalistic. If you don't feel you can protect her well enough, you may want to rehome her. However if she leaves, I can almost quarantee the meanies will find another to bully .

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on drumstick diva's comments. It certainly doesn't sound like a safe environment to leave her in, especially with you being away.

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your bullying chicken problems. Drumstick diva gave some good comments. The pecking problem may subside when the hen grows in all her feathers, or it may not.

Back
Top Bottom