CAN SINGLE HEN SURVIVE?

nomoneycanrepla

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2015
We have only been raising hens for 3 years. Everything we have learned is by BYC or real life experience. We are NOT experts. This is my opinion.

We started out with 4 newborn pullets. They were a close and loving flock. Except, one became 'the rooster'. Eventually, 3 of the girls died from various health issues. That left the rooster hen.

We did tons of research and got two new pullets at different ages and breeds. She attacked them both, when we tried to safely introduce her. She hated them. They ended up being put to sleep for health reasons.

That left the solo girl. Everywhere, except one thread said they will die. But, I did not want to lose her. We doted on her and spent alot of time keeping her happy. Now, she sleeps through the night in her house and she free ranges a few times a day. She has plenty of sun where we live and lays regularly. She gets special treats and has a dust bath every other day. I think she will continue like this for a while. I know they don't live long alone, but she has been alone since May, and is doing fine.

Make her solo hen your buddy and give her music or special treats or yard time to keep her spirits up.

We have only been raising hens for 3 years. Everything we have learned is by BYC or real life experience. We are NOT experts. This is my opinion.

We started out with 4 newborn pullets. They were a close and loving flock. Except, one became 'the rooster'. Eventually, 3 of the girls died from various health issues. That left the rooster hen.

We did tons of research and got two new pullets at different ages and breeds. She attacked them both, when we tried to safely introduce her. She hated them. They ended up being put to sleep for health reasons.

That left the solo girl. Everywhere, except one thread said they will die. But, I did not want to lose her. We doted on her and spent alot of time keeping her happy. Now, she sleeps through the night in her house and she free ranges a few times a day. She has plenty of sun where we live and lays regularly. She gets special treats and has a dust bath every other day. I think she will continue like this for a while. I know they don't live long alone, but she has been alone since May, and is doing fine.

Make her solo hen your buddy and give her music or special treats or yard time to keep her spirits up.
Most life does better with company, but a chicken will not usually die because it is a one and only. Sounds to me that she is in chicken heaven!

Chickens are extremely adaptable, after a while once they get used to any new situation.

I've had both roosters and hens adapt very well to being the only chicken out of necessity. As long as they have companionship of some sort, whether it's human or mammal, they can be quite content.

A side effect I've noticed from this isolation from other chickens, is a seemingly increased level of intelligence and the ability to find ways to communicate their needs to you.

This isn't to say they aren't better off with a flock, but they do seem to be content without a flock if they have other companions.

YES!  She is so smart!  Thank you for the reassurance.  We worry about her alot.

Many birds are happy with human companions; some more so than another bird. We'd love to see this "rooster hen". Post a picture if you can.

Human companions-I found a baby zebra finch this morning in my bird room that the parents had rejected. It is already begging to my wife to feed it. Hand fed finches make a very unique pet-so tiny-so fearless. I know from experience that it will do very well with human companions.

Back
Top Bottom