Tips for Raising Market Show Broilers

texasbroilerfam

Hatching
Nov 17, 2015
Looking for tips & tricks for a successful feeding program for a 7 week Market Broiler Project. This is for a local livestock show.

What additives have worked for you in the past?

We are feeding Purina Show Chow due to the high protein value. I have seen other additives for sale but am unsure about the best. The one I am most familiar with is no long on the market.

What about dying feed to make it more appealing to chicks? Any luck with that?

Thank you in advance.

Don't feed Purina! I raise show birds for Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and fed Purina my first year. Huge mistake, my birds were only 5 pounds each. This year I fed turkey starter the first two weeks, then broiler finisher the next three weeks, and added milk and canola oil to the rest of the broiler finisher the rest of the weeks. This year my birds were 8 pounds and won me $2500. I used Producers brand, I'm not sure if you have that. But any feed other than Purina Show Chow is best! Trust me

I'm weighing my birds tomorrow. We will be a week out before show. We are feeding purina show chow, the purina power fuel, and MG 36% protein concentrate. Next year I won't use purina. It's way too expensive for one. For 2, everywhere around me runs out of stock quickly during show. I have to buy 5 bags at a time to make sure I'll have enough until they get more in stock.

Not sure how much the purine show chow costs in comparison to blue seal Kent feeds which is about $18.00, but it works very very well for me, the grow fast and it builds their muscles which is what the look for in the shows, my birds won grand champion heavy weight on it:) Good luck!

We got 16th out of 17th place with purina. We won't be using it again. We did all the right stuff with lights, noise, waking them, stirring them up, etc.

One good thing is my freezer is very, very heavily stocked with whole chickens. We had 52 to start with and ended with 49 slaughtered and 3 still roaming my yard, just to see how big they get. So, all 52 lived. No one else around us had that many live.

Back
Top Bottom