Amaryllis bulb not growing roots

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
I bought and planted a couple of amaryllis bulbs about a month ago and today I accidentally know one of the bulbs while watering and was shocked to see that the bulb just popped out of the soil. There are no roots on either bulb although the flower spike keeps growing on both. Is this normal ? I want them to grow roots so the bulb survives after blooming as I want to save the bulbs. Any advice ?

How deep is the bulb? It should be about 2/3 buried and the soil kept moist.
The leaves and flower stalk will grow without moisture but the roots won't.

Last edited:
How deep is the bulb? It should be about 2/3 buried and the soil kept moist.
The leaves and flower stalk will grow without moisture but the roots won't.
they have been planted exactly as described. I just don't know why they don't have roots. When I knocked the first one out I noticed that the dry dead roots that they came with had become flexible from the moister from the soil so I just pulled those off, should I not have done that ? They weren't live roots

Not sure, I've never done that. I just make sure the medium is good and moist, like you could wring it out when I start. Then water when it gets dry to the touch.

They usually bloom when they come out of dormancy. Fertilize and give good light then let it dry out upside down and go dormant. A couple months after the foliage has dried up trim it and replant. This time it should bloom.

The leaves won't die while the weather is mild and you don't want it to freeze. Now that it has been outside it should have built up good stores in the bulb from the sun exposure.
If it's starting to get cold there, I would dig it up and turn it upside down so it will dry out and hang in a cool place and it will go dormant.

Back
Top Bottom