Flooring for inside the coop

PouleNoire

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
We have a shed that we built for our chicken coop and we are using a tarp and cardboard under the wood shavings, I have heard about using tile and it sounds useful, if you use it how does it do, does it get cold in the winter? What else do people use?

I do something completely different than most people. I used a waterproof underlayment in my breeder units and they tore it up by scratching. So now I use a thin sheet of HDPE. It comes in various colors. I've used yellow that is easy to tell when it is clean. The chickens can't wear down their talons but it is water proof and if you let your chickens forage, that takes care of it. I cover it with horse stall type pine shavings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polyethylen...-HDPE-Black-/360449609664?hash=item53ec788fc0

The floor is OSB painted with DeckOver, a thick deck paint. There is a thick, 6" layer of pine flakes over it. It's held up well. We have a poop board under the roost so most of the poo stays there.

I used linoleum (glued down) for my coop floor. On top of that I have about 4-6 inches of pine shavings. Its worked well so far, but time will tell how it continues to hold up.

I personally used pre-cut sheet vinyl flooring in top of pressure treated plywood.
I've read of many people trying vinyl / linoleum tiles in their coop and experiencing problem with dirt/poop getting in between tile seams to lift them up eventually. If you're going to actually lay tiles with grout for better moisture protection as in bathrooms, that'll probably hold up fine, but you might want to avoid linoleum tiles.
I have large dog kennel pans made of HDPE for easy slide out of my coop, as I don't think my vinyl flooring will hold up to chicken scratching in the long run. It all depends on the size of your coop, but HDPE sheet as ChickenCanoe mentioned sounds like a good idea.

Something like thick deck paint is a good idea! Poop boards also seem to have good results, thank you ChickenMammX4! Thank you also bluema I never thought bout the seams in the linoleum! These are great ideas guys!

A deck paint may not hold up under constant moisture. You'll see them start to peel and flake off.
I've ruined a few surface spots on my covered patio because my pumpkin decorations melted into them.

i wanted to clarify my post earlier and say that by linoleum I meant vinyl sheet flooring. I used caulk around the edges of the sheet (where it meets the wall) to minimize any moisture/dirt/droppings getting under the flooring. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom