Question about organ meat/ The Day

JustaSnake

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2015
Back in the spring I ordered a straight tun of 12 black sex links. Was sent 13 and ended up with 7 Roos. I planned on keeping one and sending the rest off to freezer camp Yesterday we did 3, and today we did 3. It was not as easy as all those you tube vids but DH is learning how to do the cut, they have done it many times and he has not. I was still very fast. I picked the bird, held him, flipped him upside down gently, and put him in the cone. I made sure the bird could not back out (we need to perfect the butt strap) DH cut his jugular, after a few mins I did the water bath and the plucking, DH butchered, and then I cleaned the bird and wrapped it up. I feel a little bad. I knew from the start we would have some that had to go, and I want meat birds so this is part of it. They only had one bad day. So anyway I have learned you're are supposed to rest your birds which I am doing... but what about the organ meat? The liver/heart/neck/feet/gizzard? Should I rest that too? I had wanted to wrap it in plastic and stuff it in the bird and freeze after 3 days but can I do that with the organs?

I personally just put all the Necks, Hearts and Livers into a freezer bag right after butchering (I don't bother with the gizzards), Feet go into a separate bag for the dog but if you want to scald skin and de-nail them they can go with the organs...I then save the bones/carcass as they are eaten and once I have a slow cookers worth I make stock.

Back
Top Bottom