100+lb capacity automatic chicken feeder with solar panel

Urbanchicken62

Songster
Sep 17, 2012
Kingston, TN
Started with a Moultrie deer feeder that has multiple feeding times and adjustable feed duration. The feeder uses a 6v rechargeable battery and is charged by the solar panel that I added.
Used a galvanized trash can, a bucket , and a 30lb capacity chicken feeder.
I cut the bottom out of the bucket and attached it to the top of the 30lb chicken feeder. It acts as a funnel when the deer feeder spins to deflect and drop the feed down into the chicken feeder.

Built a feeder table to set the trash can on and attach the feeder underneath. Had to build the table with legs longer on one side due to chicken yard being on a slope. The deer feeder is set to feed for 10 seconds twice a day. Seems to be about right. Need to get that right so no feed is left at night. We have tons of raccoons that I would prefer not to feed.

It took the chickens about 10 seconds to figure it out!

That's cool!
thumbsup.gif

That is awesome! We built something similar just for storage, basically a trashcan on a table with a spout at the bottom. Yours is way better! How many chickens are you feeding? And can you let us know how much one trash-can full lasts you? We have about 25 chickens and it seems to last us about two weeks, although I'm not usually the one to fill it so I may be way off on that.

Back
Top Bottom