Incubating eggs, on lockdown, need best case senario advice please

Just Wingin It

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
centerville texas
Im on day 22 of lockdown, I have 4 pipped eggs, and 1 half unzipped. The incubator is running dry on water, and im not sure what to do about adding water... cracking open a corner with a straw? im afraid one that pipped might not be surviving, and 3 pips aren't even trying. they may be a little late due to slightly low incubating temperature.
1 pip on day 20, the rest yesterday.

What do you think would be the best case scenario for survival and hatching? thanks very much!

Can you quickly add some warm water to the channel with a cup, or a water pitcher if you open it. Or, is it possible to get a straw through a vent hole and add water that way? This would be preferable. I don't know the configuration of your bator. When I am incubating, I like to set up an "add water" option before going into lock down so I don't have to open up if things get dry. You could also add a wet cloth or sponge if the bator is not full of eggs.

i know i'm a little late to the party here but usually if you have pipping and partial zipping you won't need to add as when they start hatching you're going to get a big boost of humidity from the chicks.

i incubate in a cabinet incubator but do all hatching in Styrofoam type (easier to clean up) and as the others suggested a small syringe and a length of tubing (ice maker water line works great over a 10cc syringe) is an easy way to add water through a vent hole without opening the lid. you can even permanently afix the tube before your next hatch so it's easier to get the water into the tray.

I was able to get a straw and fill up the reservoir in the back hole. I took a coat hanger and moved the first two pipped eggs around, they were dead, the two that were alive were making a lot less noise and activity. At this point, I opted to open the incubator and check the two that had pipped and stopped moving, they were dead. (cry) the other two were stuck to the wall of their shell and was extremely dried out, they wouldn't have made it out either. I don't know what went wrong, there was still about 55% humidity in there when I added water a few hours before. I managed to help and save the two remaining chicks. they're goofy little guys and doing well. I wasn't expecting many to hatch. I had gone on a business trip and the temp dropped to 92 degrees, there was only 7 eggs left before lockdown that looked like they might hatch. (there was 3 days between pipped eggs and the day I opened it.) none of the other eggs moved.

I just wanted to reply closure to the ordeal, perhaps it may help someone else, advise is always appreciated, this is my 3rd try incubating, the first one I messed up and had 10 chicks, the second the temp spiked to 110 degrees while I wasn't home, nothing hatched.

Back
Top Bottom