Polish haircut...

callieriggs

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2015
So I tried to trim our Polish's top feathers. I son't know that I did much good. I think I am a little nervous about hurting her. How close do people trim down? She is 21 weeks old, will she still have pin feathers on her head?

I would just check for pin feathers as you go - there's a chance she might have some growing in. Just be careful. As long as you don't cut a pin feather there won't be any problems - they don't have feeling in the feathers once they are fully grown and you can cut down as far as you're comfortable with. You might want to keep some corn starch or flour on hand to stop the bleeding in case you accidentally get a pin feather.

Or you could put her feathers in a ponytail instead - I'm not joking, it sounds silly, but hair bands are good for keeping the feathers back and a lot of people who show their chickens do this so they don't have to cut feathers but the chicken can still see.

If your Polish is bearded, the muffs below her eyes might be the problem. Just trim around her eyes until you can see them well and leave her crest.
Anyway, like Phxis stated, hair bands and hair tape can be used to hold crests back as well :)

Back
Top Bottom