The Appearance of the Short Lived Split-Second first Squat!

Jackquline

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2015
Hello everyone, I hope all is well.
I have two barred rock girls who are 20 weeks 1 day old named Chica and Adaline. They were born on July

4th and I had given up hope of them laying this year because of the time change and how under developed

they had been at 16 weeks. Well four week s later and they have grown out their combs and wattles and

they are a bright red most of the time (sometimes it fades and then boom bright red again!) They are

eating an all flock with oyster shell on the side because i also have 5 twelve week old girls in the coop with

them. Well this morning as i was doing my regular routine, when my top of the pecking order pullet Chica

did a semi squat! I could not believe my eyes so a few moments later i tried to touch her again and she

completely squatted!! I was so happy and gave her an extra treat. I know it does not sound like much but i

am a first time chicken mommy and they are like my babies so i am so very proud of my little Chica!

That first squat is so exciting, isn't it?? (try telling that to a non-chicken person and watch them look at you like you are nuts. LOL) Just today, I tried to catch one of my 5 or 6-mo old (I can't tell them apart anymore!) pullets, and as I grabbed at her tail, she totally squatted and put her "elbows" out. Yippee!!

That first squat is so exciting, isn't it?? (try telling that to a non-chicken person and watch them look at you like you are nuts. LOL) Just today, I tried to catch one of my 5 or 6-mo old (I can't tell them apart anymore!) pullets, and as I grabbed at her tail, she totally squatted and put her "elbows" out. Yippee!!

I know what you mean. I mentioned squatting to my wife a couple of weeks ago - she kind of said "mmmm" and stared off into the distance
big_smile.png
Still no eggs from mine, but i do tell her every day that she needs to get on with laying!
CT

My barred rocks would start laying at 5-6 months old, so I wouldn't get too impatient, most will start squatting 2-4 weeks before beginning to lay.

Her wings went out slightly but not a lot but it was for sure a squat! I told my little sister who helps me out with them a lot and she looked me dead in the eyes and said "is that the way chickens exercise?" I laughed so hard!
lau.gif

The first pictures are of them at 15 weeks.

Chica

Adaline

These are pics from a few moments ago. The combs and wattles have gotten larger and bright red.

Back
Top Bottom