What breed is this rooster?

UGLYFOOT

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Spirit Lake, Idaho
This big boy literally wandered into my yard. We had seen him and two others up on the main road for a couple of days. I think someone was overrun with roos and decided to just dump them out here in the country. I heard that his brothers are with another neighbor. I think he is a EE but I am just guessing. He does look like my hatchery Ameraucana hens in color but his legs are yellow where theirs are grey or slate colored. Any suggestions?

I am not sure what he is but I don't think he is an Easter Egger. I had an Easter Egger rooster and his wattles were much smaller than your rooster's. Good luck!

He's a mixed breed, possibly with some Easter Egger (which is not exactly a 'pure' breed).
Thank you! I appreciate your input, I am aware that EE's are not pure bred but a mix. That is what I am sure my hatchery lAmeraucana girls actually are. He is a pretty guy tho...
I am not sure what he is but I don't think he is an Easter Egger. I had an Easter Egger rooster and his wattles were much smaller than your rooster's. Good luck!
I am not sure but I think that EE's can have very different looks due to the fact that they are mixed. I could be wrong on that one tho. I am new to this chicken thing.

Thank you! I appreciate your input, I am aware that EE's are not pure bred but a mix. That is what I am sure my hatchery lAmeraucana girls actually are. He is a pretty guy tho...
I am not sure but I think that EE's can have very different looks due to the fact that they are mixed. I could be wrong on that one tho. I am new to this chicken thing.

Your bird is definitely a mixed breed, but only an EE if he carries the blue egg gene. And you are right, since EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers, their appearance can vary quite a bit depending on which breeds are used in the cross and which genes are passed to the offspring.

Thank you all for the input. I am planing on letting him go live with my daughter when she takes her birds to her new place, I am adding to my flock with French Black Copper Marans, Blue Isbar, Bielefelders, Cream Legbars and Ayam Cemani. Then I am done till spring, when who knows what I will end up with? There are soooo many beautiful breeds out there.
Your bird is definitely a mixed breed, but only an EE if he carries the blue egg gene. And you are right, since EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers, their appearance can vary quite a bit depending on which breeds are used in the cross and which genes are passed to the offspring.

Thank you all for the input. I am planing on letting him go live with my daughter when she takes her birds to her new place, I am adding to my flock with French Black Copper Marans, Blue Isbar, Bielefelders, Cream Legbars and Ayam Cemani. Then I am done till spring, when who knows what I will end up with? There are soooo many beautiful breeds out there.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom