are the eggs ok

ken77

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2015
brinnon washington
So I noticed that I was not getting the amount of green eggs that I knew I should. I have big run but four still get out and run around which idc lol. Anyway this morning I just kinda followed them around and I found there nest of five eggs. My question is are they good its only been two maybe three days of the shortage?

Thank you that's exactly what ill do. It was a nice find lol.

I found a nest of about 17 green eggs when I had 5 EE hens. All but two of the eggs were good. We ate them with no problems. I estimated the nest of eggs to be about a week and a half old. I recently confined my flock because they were laying out in the field, the bushes, on top of the rabbit cages, etc. You get the idea. This morning, I collected 3 eggs out of 8 layers with two on the nest in my smaller coop. The little stinkers have been hiding them really well!

I still have five hens on the loose. I'll have to work on catching them too.

2-3 days in your climate, temperature wise, they should be fine....unless they were dirty and wet.

Float test will tell you how much fluid has evaporated from egg, thus maybe how old it is......
...but break eggs one at a time in separate cup and give it a good look and sniff before adding to pan or recipe.

Last edited:
Here we go again. So this time its been five days lol. It took that long to find lol. But this time it got in the 20s at night. If they froze then they are bad right? I have not taking the eggs yet. Should I mark the ones there and leave them then only get unmarked ones each day? I don't want to keep haven to Easter egg hunt every day lol it is fun lol. Any thoughts? It's only four chickens that get out of the big run and they are some my favorites lol.

If the shell hasn't cracked from freezing, they are fine to eat.

Lock the birds in the coop and secure your run so they can't get out again.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom