Need some help with my muscovy hatchlings

lissyduck

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2015
Hi. Just needing some help with some of my muscovy ducklings. Most have hatched fine with my duck and hen mummies. Last night when i went to check on them i had 10 already hatched, with 2 starting to hatch (beak poking out) 2 more with shell starting to crack and another 4 with nothing much happening.
So this morning when i checked on them. The 2 that were hatching last night were hanging out of their shells with no movement or obvious breathing. They looked like they had been squashed. I left them in the nest with the left over eggs as maybe a miracle would happen and they would come around. Trouble is the other babies and mummies spend the day in the pond and away from the nest so they get cold.
Anyway i went out this morning to do school run and some errands and when i came home 1 was still and cold and the other was noticably breathing. I brang it inside and have it wrapped in a towel and warm pillowcase to keep it warm.
Is there anything else i can do to help it or have i done the wrong thing? Should i have left it in the nest and let nature take its course?

Hi. Just needing some help with some of my muscovy ducklings. Most have hatched fine with my duck and hen mummies. Last night when i went to check on them i had 10 already hatched, with 2 starting to hatch (beak poking out) 2 more with shell starting to crack and another 4 with nothing much happening.
So this morning when i checked on them. The 2 that were hatching last night were hanging out of their shells with no movement or obvious breathing. They looked like they had been squashed. I left them in the nest with the left over eggs as maybe a miracle would happen and they would come around. Trouble is the other babies and mummies spend the day in the pond and away from the nest so they get cold.
Anyway i went out this morning to do school run and some errands and when i came home 1 was still and cold and the other was noticably breathing. I brang it inside and have it wrapped in a towel and warm pillowcase to keep it warm.
Is there anything else i can do to help it or have i done the wrong thing? Should i have left it in the nest and let nature take its course?

Hopefully your duckling survived. Whenever I can save a life I do so. What does it cost to try. And many times these "saves:" turn out great.

Your duckling needs to be kept at temp of 85 for at least a week. Then drop the temp 5* each week there after. Once it gets stronger and can walk and keep up you might be able to try and put it back with the rest but do it while they are out foraging just slip it in with the rest maybe distract mom with some treats. Then stand a watch to make sure it can keep up and mom isn't going to attack it. It won't need to eat of drink for the first 24/36 hrs. Then try showing it water first then offer some chick starter. A stuffed animal to cuddle with. Hopefully with your TLC it will make it and thrive.

Unfortunately it didnt make it. Even sadder the next day i found my 3yr old out in the pen and 5 ducklings dead. I think he was too rough with them. Very sad and lesson learnt on my part. But we still have 5 from that nest left and our black muscovy's nest has started to hatch today. She has 9 so far. Looks like she may end up with 15 or so.

Unfortunately it didnt make it. Even sadder the next day i found my 3yr old out in the pen and 5 ducklings dead. I think he was too rough with them. Very sad and lesson learnt on my part. But we still have 5 from that nest left and our black muscovy's nest has started to hatch today. She has 9 so far. Looks like she may end up with 15 or so.

Very sorry about the losses lil kids and tiny ducklings don't make very good matches. as you found out..I hope the rest do well. Love to see pics when you can.

Back
Top Bottom