How much should I feed my 7 chickens?

Hi there - the average amount a chicken will eat is about 1/2 cup/day, plus whatever else you give them. This is an average - some eat more, some less. If you are supplementing with treats, don't give them any more than 1/4 cup treats otherwise you'll throw off the dietary balance.

I just keep the feeder full, either of Flock Raiser, or Layena if everyone in laying eggs. Then limited scratch and other scraps. Each bird will eat what she needs; which will vary depending on size, breed, ambient temperatures, etc. Limiting their base diet is a bad idea, so just fill the feeder. Mary

I just keep the feeder full, either of Flock Raiser, or Layena if everyone in laying eggs. Then limited scratch and other scraps. Each bird will eat what she needs; which will vary depending on size, breed, ambient temperatures, etc. Limiting their base diet is a bad idea, so just fill the feeder. Mary

Totally agree!

CT

X3

Chickens are voracious eaters and when the crop is nearly empty, they're very hungry. If no feed is available, they'll eat whatever is at hand. That may be plants they normally wouldn't touch or even bedding and feces. They will eat no matter what, so I'd rather they eat a nutritionally balanced feed.
Nothing is gained scrimping on that.

Back
Top Bottom