Falcon attacking my flock

waterbrat

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Roswell, GA
I am so upset the other day I came home from work and one of my young chicken was killed and everyday since then I have lost a baby. I have lost 5. I moved them today and the falcon found the run. He even came into the run tonight when I was there hanging out with the chicks. I don't know what to do I have 7 12 weeks olds and 5 layers I feel so helpless that I can't protect my babies.

I am so upset the other day I came home from work and one of my young chicken was killed and everyday since then I have lost a baby. I have lost 5. I moved them today and the falcon found the run. He even came into the run tonight when I was there hanging out with the chicks. I don't know what to do I have 7 12 weeks olds and 5 layers I feel so helpless that I can't protect my babies.

Can you post photos of your run? It will help us to offer tips to better secure your birds if we are able to see what your current setup is.

I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
Netting helps a bunch. You might also provide plenty of hide places for your babies to run and hide. Is there a way you can keep them up for a few days. With winter coming on the hawk is just trying to get ready for winter. Frustrating for us but part of sharing our world with nature. If there is no more food, the hawk will likely move on to another area, particularly if it is a young hawk. I have also found that stringing different strings to make a spider web like over the top and putting up things that move like old CD's help. The other thing to consider is to get one of those fake owls and put them up. Owls will attack other hawks and so those will discourage them as well. I have also found that having my dogs close (but not in the same pen) helps as the dogs will start barking if the birds get upset. You might consider also making a smaller covered pen which attaches to your coop that you can put out when the predators are around and then give them the full run when you are there, or when the chances are lower for predation. Just some ideas.

Thanks I finally was able to get all of the babies caught and in the garage. I figure until we can build a proper cover for the run better to keep them safe. My layers have been pretty good at fighting off the falcon. I am going to keep them locked up for the short term. They will be mad at me but can't take losing another one.

Very sorry for your losses. Good move keeping them inside for now. Hawks and falcons will keep coming back if they are successful in getting a meal. Plan on keeping them inside for 5-7 days. A covered run is the best long term answer.

Yesterday was a good day I didn't lose any. Babies don't like being inside but it is keeping them safe. The big girls are still freaked but it is fun walking around with them as they free range. Plan to have them around me today as I clean the yard

A falcon was on my back deck just Sunday. Today I am missing a Buff. I let mine roam the backyard while I am at work because I don't get home until after it's dark already (hate this time of year). Thank you Waterbrat (though sorry for your loss) for posting this and everyone for the advice.

Last edited:
Well I haven't seen the falcon in a week and the babies have moved back outside to a covered run. Babies are happy to be back outside and my son said the falcon won't be back with the guardian owls we now have.

Yes this time of year is hard I hope you find your buff.

Back
Top Bottom