New Member from Wyoming.

Essence

Hatching
Nov 27, 2015
Wyoming.
Hello there! My name is Essence. I am a 24 year old Wyoming girl, born and raised there, and planning on staying! So when I was little, probably 4-5, I stayed with my grandparents for around 6 months when my parents we're overseas. They had a flock of chickens, i think 20-21 hens and a rooster or two. They we're all so friendly, even the roosters! When i helped my Grandma clean the chicken coop and feed them they all ran up to us and we're so friendly! They let me hold them and even pet them, they we're so tame, they also layed these perfect small brown eggs all year around, almost every single day! they we're delicious. I was happy to see my parents, but I was sad to say goodbye to my grandparents and their chickens, but I got to stay for two months each year until I was 14, when my grandparents passed away. All of their chickens had died from old age, one of them had gotten snatched up by a dog, but the rest died of old age, so they had gotten four more hens to keep eggs for breakfast, after they passed away I was given the hens to take care of, they were so sweet, they we're very friendly and liked everyone. They passed away within a few weeks of each other last year, they we're all 10-11 years old. I'm seriously considering getting some chicks to raise myself now, and wanted to come learn before I jump into something, so here I am! Ready to learn and hopefully get some chickens soon! I would love to meet some people, and make some new friends!
smile.png

Welcome. Where abouts in Wyoming? I spend quite a bit of time out there as I have a very close friend that lives outside of Wheatland. I'll be up there in a week or two to fill cow elk permits.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC Essence! Spend some time in the Learning Center and read, read, read! I found that very helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You probably have more experience with chickens than a lot of people who start out here thanks to your grandparents! I had only raised a few ducks as a child so chickens were completely new to me! I love them and my children and I are having a great time with them. I say start small, but not too small because of loss that can happen...we bought 10 chicks to start and lost a weak one on day 3. That was our first heartbreaking experience with chickens.

The folks here on BYC are super helpful and friendly...and a mixed flock just like the chickens we raise!
hugs.gif

You may want to check out your state thread too. Connect with other people that are raising chickens in your climate!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/699789/wyoming-unite

Enjoy!

Hi :welcome Essence

Glad you could join the flock! It sounds like you had a fantastic time with your grandparents chickens when you were growing up. They made some very good ages and that must be because they were so well cared for. I'm sure you will enjoy raising some chicks, it's the most wonderful thing to watch them grow and develop. I really enjoy it and find it very rewarding. Plus they are just so super cute as chicks.

Wishing you the very best of luck. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC, Essence. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm your neighbor from the Rocky Mountain state on your north border. :eek:) X2 on Bridebeliever; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi Essence,
welcome-byc.gif

I have family a couple of places in WY, very nice up there (and quite different from here in Florida, lol). It sounds like you would do well with a flock of your own, you have quite a bit of experience that many others don't have starting out.

Hope you can get some birds soon and if you have any questions, always feel free to ask. There's a ton of information available here and a lot of friendly, helpful members.

Back
Top Bottom