This way ladies...

wantsomeguineas

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2016
Memphis, TN
Ok a total beginner question - I think I probably only want females because I don't necessarily want MORE than I initially buy and I don't want the eggs fertilized. If you can't sex them for a good while how do you go about this? What do I do if I get males?

Ok a total beginner question - I think I probably only want females because I don't necessarily want MORE than I initially buy and I don't want the eggs fertilized. If you can't sex them for a good while how do you go about this? What do I do if I get males?

Eat them. They are delicious.

On another note, if you keep only females, they will be much noisier than if you keep only males. Since the "buckwheat" is also the hen's call for a mate, they are likely to never stop making the buckwheat call.

In a mixed flock the buckwheating can get really bad up until the hens have chosen their mates. Once they are paired off the buckwheating greatly decreases until the next breeding season or if a hen loses her mate she can begin calling for him pretty much non-stop.

Good luck.

That is good advice (on males only). I don't think we'd be able to eat them, my 10 year old daughter is going to raise them, we aren't planning on eating them, which is part of the reason we don't want both males and females. Any other ideas?

If you do end up with males you can always sell them. I can usually tell the gender of the Guineas around 1-3 months. Or you can dna them but that's about $30 per bird(at least for parrots). If you keep makes and they breed selling babies is an option. They go quick too.

Back
Top Bottom