Can a rooster fight off a hawk/coon/whatever?

estheramelia

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2016
HI
There seems to be a mix of whether roos can defend their flock or cant. Just want to clear it up myself. I don't think small speedy gamefowl can really win against a hawk, but I could be wrong. Big ones are less accurate, but in the wild I feel like it's all about strength. So, anyone?

NO. Those that believe they can, will go through a great deal of roosters.- how sad!!

Agreed! They can be ok as a sentry / alarm for a flock, but certainly no defender (a successful one, at least) against a hawk. I got rid of my roos and my alpha hen plays the same role as my roos did (with the help of the local squirrels who actually do 90% of the sentry work unknowingly, for my flock).

Whilst i had my roos, i lost two chickens to hawks - roo nowhere to be seen. I think that says it all
smile.png

CT

I know from experience and direct observations (note plural) they can deal with some hawks and can help a hen distract a predator but there is risk. In direct response to comment above about going through lots of roosters, our flocks have been closed for many decades, actually longer. We do loose roosters and hens but reproduction more than makes up difference. Birds I do this with have no hatchery ancestors in their gene pool ever. Breed and situation is important and most predators have no problems taking a rooster or hen that fights back unless predator is naive or distracted. The absolute statement "they cannot" is baloney.

Last edited:
Illegal in this country filmed below.

Interactions I have seen did not involve direct contact with possible exception of Red-tailed Hawk chasing chickens in barn around combine. Gamecock barrelled in and may have briefly had hawk down under the equipment and hawk did loose feather from the encounter. Other enounters gamecock positions himself between brood (not hen) and hawk and does a great deal of bluffing. With Coopers Hawks roosters do not even seek cover, with Red-tailed Hawks they do.

In the open most predators rule so I make so chickens can operate from cover provided by shrubs hawk cannot fly thru.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom