What killed my chicken?

brbg7

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2015
I had a chicken that would fly over the fence and would forage outside then at night she would fly back into the pen. Today i found her eaten just outside the coop. There were feathers everywhere. The predator ate everything in her except the bones. They even ate the flesh off her neck and face as well as her insides. Any idea what might do this?

I agree with Boom but it also depends on where you live. Foxes are very well known for eating chickens but in my experience they tend to kill and take the bodies away, not leave it at the scene.

I agree with Boom but it also depends on where you live. Foxes are very well known for eating chickens but in my experience they tend to kill and take the bodies away, not leave it at the scene.
True foxes do take them away not leave them at the crime scene
Just what could it be
hmm.png

Heres a picture of the chicken. I live in Michigan. I didnt get a picture of her neck and face before i buried her but it was noting but bones.

Last edited:
I had a chicken that would fly over the fence and would forage outside then at night she would fly back into the pen. Today i found her eaten just outside the coop. There were feathers everywhere. The predator ate everything in her except the bones. They even ate the flesh off her neck and face as well as her insides. Any idea what might do this?

Where are you located? What is your weather like? Snow on the ground? Any prints? Usually canines and larger predators will carry the body away and eat it elsewhere, so I suspect it was something that couldn't carry the body or eat bones. Canines would crunch them. Do you have hawks? A feather explosion usually can often mean a hit from above and if the chicken is over two pounds a hawk usually cannot carry.
I've witnessed two unsuccessful hawk attacks on my chickens and both times the hawk went after a young chicken in the ten week old range, perhaps hoping to be able to carry it away. Both times the birds were able to take cover, once under the deck and once under an evergreen.
Added: Just saw your picture. Weasels will gnaw and drink blood. Usually they'll get chickens roosting. Don't think they would eat that much. I'm not really sure what raccoons do. I know they will pull body parts off.

Last edited:
Not sure what time she was eaten. I live in southern michigan. I found her today. She could have been eaten in the last few days because she was missing. When i went behind the coop today looking for her and i found her like this. She was about a year old EE. I know we do have critters in the area because we live by woods and farm fields.

I found a spot about 2 feet away with more feathers and corn on the ground. (I think it was inside her crop.)

Back
Top Bottom