My duck sneezed this out?

smileylife

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2016
Mexico
My duck is sitting next to me and she had a thin scarf on top of her and she sneezed, I noticed there was a weird substance that came out, what is it?? This is the first time I've seen this, I always leave a big bowl of water so she can clear out her nose but she always spills it all

If you put hydrogen peroxide on it does it fizz? If so, that's bacteria.

Not to get too graphic, here, but if I blow something like that out my nose it indicates I am fighting off something.

I would certainly keep a close eye on her, and probably call the vet.

How is she otherwise?

I'd call the vet, too. Mucous is not a good sign in any bird, even if the discharge is clear, it means that she's trying to fight off some kind of respiratory infection. You need to take her to a vet, they'll do a culture and prescribe the proper antibiotic based on the species of bacterium they find.

I didn't see this before, but I threw away the tissue. She loves going out side and sunbathe and it's been pretty chilly. I'm not sure how to know a duck is supposed to act since this is my first one and I only have one. I have other pets (dogs and a cat) and she 'plays' with one of my dogs. It's the first time that I've seen this and she hasn't sneezed any more out since then. I'll go to the vet tomorrow and see what they say

That's doubly not good. Nearly all cats and about half of dogs carry a bacterium called Pasteurella that is DEADLY TO BIRDS. If your duck shares a water bowl with your other pets or has been bitten/licked by your cat or dog then you risk contagion. That might even be the culprit of that mucus. You need to take your duck into the vet ASAP, do not delay! Get the poor girl tested. And please, please pleae put some serious thought into getting her a ducky playmate!

Back
Top Bottom