My Embden Gander

freymillercar

Hatching
Feb 3, 2016
South West Wisconsin
I can't figure out how to get pictures on her so I will continue on with my story. I was reading the farmers almanac and it said (I quote) "the good goose will start to lay on the second date of February". I must have an excellent goose and gander because she layed her first egg on the 18th of January. I have seen them, you know ..get... It.. Anyway, I have six fertile goose eggs from her and are incubating right now. Now to my question, my goose (Daisy) is pulling out my ganders (lance) feathers. They are outside during the day and are not pened up so she doesn't need "mental stimulation". He just stands there and let's up happen like its normal. They do get supplemented because of the snow coverage on our grass. But I want to know why he is just getting tortured and tolerates it!! She never has done this before and she started pulling out his feathers (and eating them) early January about a week before she started laying. Any help will be appreciated!!

Usually when they eat feathers it can mean they are needing extra protein since that is mainly what feathers are. But most geese don't eat meat like some ducks will and some wild geese. My 2 females geese will eat dried meal worms seem to actually go bananas over them. My ganders will not touch them, so you might try giving her something like that as a supplement and see if it helps. Also a good poultry vitamin might help since she is laying there just may be some nutritional issues going on. It takes alot of nutrients to process an egg. Do you offer oyster shell for calicum? A good quality layer ration right now would be good for her too.

Welcome to BYC @freymillercar

Thanks @Miss Linda for explaining to me what's going on, they do get oyster shells and they do get about 500g (both) of cracked corn every other day. With being on grass, I was wondering if that's what she needs, do you recommend anything/ food for them, along with meal worms, if she likes them :)

Last edited:
Thanks @Miss Linda for explaining to me what's going on, they do get oyster shells and they do get about 500g (both) of cracked corn every other day. With being on grass, I was wondering if that's what she needs, do you recommend anything/ food for them, along with meal worms, if she likes them
smile.png
I'd say she needs more than cracked corn which really doesn't have much nutritional value. It's a good thing to offer in the late afternoon on winter days to help keep them warmer over night since it's carbohydrates.I give it to my flock in winter only because it also packs weight on. So mine only get corn in fall and winter months. Layer feed is important for laying birds since it gives the right balance of nutrition for the females and if yours is on grass that will balance out the over much of calcium so your gander won't get too much. With snow covering the ground I guess they aren't doing much grazing so they really need a balanced diet. If you don't want to use a layer feed you could buy an all flock and just make sure she has access to oyster shell at all times, Chopped kale is another way to give her calcium especially in winter months when grass is dead or covered.
Her pulling out his feathers and him letting her could be signs of affection too. They do strange things when going through breeding season. lol I haven't seen it too much with my geese but one of my roos use to let the hens make his wattles raw and bleeding. I never figured out why he would just let them either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom