Chicken has egg shell stuck in vent

TheBlessedCoop

Chirping
Jan 26, 2016
Texas
My year old hen laid a whole egg during the night. Then she laid another shell less egg(just white and yolk) very soon after. The shell to the last egg looks like a deflated balloon and is still partially inside her vent. I pulled on it slightly. Not hard enough to hurt her and it seems to be stuck pretty good. I gave her a warm bath but she still didn't pass it. She isn't able to poop. She is drinking but not eating. I know this is serious because she isn't pooping. Should I try giving her another bath? She refuses to lay down. She just stands like she is uncomfortable. Any advice would help!! She hasn't popped in three hours! Please respond quickly!

I would try to pull a little harder. Sometimes the other hens will pull it out. Also I agree with gloving up and lubricating her vent to get it out. Usually you only have to insert a finger an inch or so. Let us know how it goes.

I agree with above posters. I'd go in and see if you can get it out. Pull and you could risk breaking it since it's soft-shelled, and she really doesn't need that inside of her.

I am happy to report my hen is doing great today!!
1f917.png
I was able to pull the shell out during her second Epsom salt soak. I didn't need the Ky jelly but bought it just in case. Glad I got it for my chicken first aid kit. I might need it in the future. Thank y'all for the advice!!
1f60a.png
Basil says thank you too!!
1f414.png

1f917.png
I was able to pull the shell out during her second Epsom salt soak. I didn't need the Ky jelly but bought it just in case. Glad I got it for my chicken first aid kit. I might need it in the future. Thank y'all for the advice!!
1f60a.png
1f414.png
Yay!
ya.gif

You did good! I am glad she is doing well.
Basil is a lovely girl.

1f917.png
1f60a.png
1f414.png

I have the same situation today and was so relieved to see this post for possible solutions. Hoping it will work for her as she is really ailing. It appears that the shell may have calicified as it has what appears to be and edge. Please wish me luck on this oldest and only of my original chickens.

I have the same situation today and was so relieved to see this post for possible solutions. Hoping it will work for her as she is really ailing. It appears that the shell may have calicified as it has what appears to be and edge. Please wish me luck on this oldest and only of my original chickens.
@Amry Keep us posted on how she's doing :hugs

Back
Top Bottom