I'm back! :) round 2

firsttimehatch1

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 15, 2015
hey everyone I am back again!
Last year I hatched my first eggs.White rock chickens with my kindergarten class. 11 our of 12 hatched :)
This year I decided to do it again but we are looking at getting Silkies eggs.
Are these any different than hatching white rock?

Much Different!! Be careful, silkies are a "fancy" breed and come with issues... I am friends with a fairly large breeder and she kinda scared me with the problems she finds! She very often finds them hatching with wrong toes and crooked toe/splayed leg, Silkies also have a soft spot on their head, she described kinda like a "kill spot" on a Alligator, its where the skull doesnt close completely and causes a weakness in the skull overall, so be really careful with these adorable weirdo's!

Also, they get poop stuck in their weird feathers easily XD

I have had silkies for years. They are not that delicate. The do have 1 extra toe compared to other chickens and black skin. As for their heads, they have a vaulted cranium. Basically you just don't touch it and you are fine. I have never had more issues with my silkies versus my standard breeds. They are a very lovable breed. They have downy like feathers their entire lives and are very lovable. Mine follow me around like dogs and want attention. I would not be afraid to hatch them out. They are wonderful!

Agreed, I see so many posts about how delicate Silkies are and I just don't see that in my own birds. I've been breeding Silkies and Sizzles for years and I treat them just like the other breeds I've had. Extra and missing toes are normal, they don't cause any issues unless you want to show them. And not all Silkies have vaulted skulls. A lot of breeders prefer them because they state they make their crests larger. Again, not something that holds true in my birds. The chicks that hatch without vaults grow crests as big and beautiful as the ones that have them. Wry neck is typically associated with a vitamin deficiency or a peck or bump to a vaulted skull. Easily prevented by providing a good quality feed, lots of space and minimizing things they can bump their heads on.

Agreed, I see so many posts about how delicate Silkies are and I just don't see that in my own birds. I've been breeding Silkies and Sizzles for years and I treat them just like the other breeds I've had. Extra and missing toes are normal, they don't cause any issues unless you want to show them. And not all Silkies have vaulted skulls. A lot of breeders prefer them because they state they make their crests larger. Again, not something that holds true in my birds. The chicks that hatch without vaults grow crests as big and beautiful as the ones that have them. Wry neck is typically associated with a vitamin deficiency or a peck or bump to a vaulted skull. Easily prevented by providing a good quality feed, lots of space and minimizing things they can bump their heads on.
My silkies are nowhere near delicate either, though I have never Hatched them in bulk, the one white silkie I hatched my own was a bit of trouble and everyone I tell they say it could have been alot worse...

IMO silkies and sizzles are the bomb! My favorite breed though I love all my birds equally! Lol! I will always have them and are the ones I hatch out most often.

awesome thank you so much. You tnk if I get 12 eggs it would be okay or should I get 18 eggs. Temp at 10q to 102 and how much humidity for the first 18 days ? I keep reading different things and now I'm messed up lol

Temp is dependent on type of Bator. With a fan your temp should be about 99.5. Without a fan your temp should be about 102 at the top of the eggs. Humidity is another story. There are a lot of opinions and you need to find what works for you. I run dry and only add water if humidity falls below 27% and try to keep it below 35% on days 1-17. That's my sweet spot. Then for lock down I raise it to 75%. My hatch rates run in the 90%s. These numbers are really just a guide with a little more flexibility than temp. You should let the size of your air cell guide you.

As for the number of eggs that also depends on a few things. Are the shipped or local? Shipped usually have a lower hatch rate than those you pick up. Also what do you want to do with the chicks after they hatch? It's really personal preference. I have 40 in my Bator right now. I will keep a handful and sell the rest. Keep in mind that statistically 50% will be Roos.

Perfect thank you for the great information. As for the eggs I am getting them local. And the baton is no fan. I think I will get a dozen and a half just in case. Even though last time it was 12 eggs and 11 hatched ha ha .
They will be going to a coworkers house as she has a coop

Back
Top Bottom