Is it safe?

beetandsteet

Songster
Aug 21, 2015
Texas!
Am trying the "mama heating pad" brooding method for the first time. Is it safe to leave a heating pad on for that long, and have it contacting metal (the wire frame to hold the pad in a cave shape)? Was reading about the dangers of heating pads and read some pretty scary stuff. Would rather not have my house burn down.

I've been using one now for several days and I've used it before and haven't had any problems.

I made a small cover out of hardware cloth that I then cover with an old clean towel. I bent two sides of the wire down and left the front and back open. It's about 4 inches high, 10 inches wide and about 12 inches long. We had lots of small pieces leftover from when we made our first coop. It makes a nice warm place for them to sleep and keep warm.

I have mine set up in our bathtub right now. Our toy fox terrier is litter box trained so I use her pee pads to line the tub and to cover the heating pad. As the pads get dirty I just fold it up and have another under it ready to go. I've also got the pads under their little waterer and feeder. It makes for easy clean up.

I made one and the chicks would not go in it. They only sat on top of it. Not sure if it will still work.

Ok maybe I'll try that. I put the pad on top thinking it would keep the cold out like momma.

Back
Top Bottom