What's wrong with my Americana?

5lovelyhens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2015
Okay, so about a month ago, my Americana (don't know how to spell it) her name is Lightning, was acting weird and sick. She wasn't moving much, wouldn't eat much, just stood in one place. Then I noticed she was pooping out egg white. I took her to the vet, and he said she was at the end of her laying cycle for the winter, so the egg didn't fully form. However, when she got better, she layed full eggs again. Probably 6 or 7 since then. Today, i went out to check on them before bed and in the nesting box there were three eggs. One was broken. I picked it up and it was a paper thin, fragile shell. It looked light brown in the dark, but it was light light green and so thin and fragile. And I don't think there was a yolk but I could be wrong. They have oyster shells and eat laying formula. She's acting fine now. Not sick at all. And yesterday she was in the box and didn't lay, but today she layed a paper thin shelled egg. I can't even describe the way it felt. What's going on?

When they are starting or stopping the laying season they sometimes will lay soft shell eggs. It can be normal. They will also lay them sometimes if they are frightened, or if they they have been panting a lot. I wouldn't worry, make sure they have oyster shells free choice, otherwise there's nothing you can do.

Okay thanks. Today she is acting sick. Not eating and not moving much... I don't know what happened

Back
Top Bottom