Just ordered my baby chicks!!!

Adamschickfarm

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Oregon
wee.gif
I just Ordered my baby chicks!!! They will get here may 2nd, the thing I was most exited about was I got all the breeds I wanted on the day I wanted.
yesss.gif
I ordered a buff brahma, golden cochin, buff orphinton, a black jersey giant , and a Easter egger.

I already have seven chickens. any tips on Integrating them?

Hi. place the young ones where the older ones can see them but NOT get to them. let them observe each other for about a week. Then slowly try introducing them watching how they behave towards one another. do NOT leave them alone at this point. if after you observed for a bit and everything was fine, then they can be intergrated. if not and the older ones were excessively aggressive to the little ones continue with the separation.where they can see each other. And continue trying the integration. There will always be a flock dynamic, lead hen ect. pecking is normal but things to watch for is aggression. Jumping on the little ones, flying at them, aggressive behavior. Keeping them from feeding ect. Those things can seriously hurt or kill the chicks! I'm in the same situation you are with integrating the babies and this is what I'm going to do.Congratulations on your order!!! :) super exciting! I just placed my order for 7 barred Rock females from Meyer hatchery. They ship out April 11th. Who did you order from? Did you choose to get yours vaccinated for Mareks disease? I got mine done. only .50 cents per bird. very affordable. I hope you show some pictures when they arrive!! I can't wait to see them! Best wishes to you and your new little ones. :)

Hi. place the young ones where the older ones can see them but NOT get to them. let them observe each other for about a week. Then slowly try introducing them watching how they behave towards one another. do NOT leave them alone at this point. if after you observed for a bit and everything was fine, then they can be intergrated. if not and the older ones were excessively aggressive to the little ones continue with the separation.where they can see each other. And continue trying the integration. There will always be a flock dynamic, lead hen ect. pecking is normal but things to watch for is aggression. Jumping on the little ones, flying at them, aggressive behavior. Keeping them from feeding ect. Those things can seriously hurt or kill the chicks! I'm in the same situation you are with integrating the babies and this is what I'm going to do.Congratulations on your order!!!
smile.png
super exciting! I just placed my order for 7 barred Rock females from Meyer hatchery. They ship out April 11th. Who did you order from? Did you choose to get yours vaccinated for Mareks disease? I got mine done. only .50 cents per bird. very affordable. I hope you show some pictures when they arrive!! I can't wait to see them! Best wishes to you and your new little ones.
smile.png

thank you so much for all the advice
highfive.gif
. to answer your questions I got them from chickens for backyards. I didn't get them vaccinated. I will defiantly send some pictures to you. can't wait
celebrate.gif
!

:) it super exciting isn't it!! it seems like I have to wait forevver!!! Mine are hatching and shipping on April 11th!! I even counted back as to when the eggs go into the incubator next month!! I've been looking up chick pictures and I drug out my brooder box. got new chick feeders & waterers.I checked my brooder heat lamp making sure it worked and got a new Thermometer for the brooder and a adjustable heat lamp stand to make it easier to drop the tempature 5 degrees each week. I think all I need is pines bedding and medicated feed...and.....CHICKS!!! :)

I've read that it helps to give them a distraction while integrating them too! When it comes time to integrate the pullets into the established flock, let them see each other, in separate spaces (new chickens in a small run or something outside the older chickens run) so they get used to each other, for a week or so. Then when you actually put them together, give them something fun to distract them, like a pile of leaves or some cabbage strung up, or a pumpkin or gourd with a hole in it! Something that the older ladies will get distracted by and not be SO interested in the new girls. Of course you should still keep an eye on them when integrating too! If one of the already established hens is particularly aggressive towards the new ones, separate her from the whole group, sort of like a "time out". Keep her away from the whole flock for a few days then put her back in. Usually this stops aggression!

Back
Top Bottom