Predator Problem?

LehighCounty4-H

Chirping
Mar 19, 2015
Macungie, Pa
I can help you with advice and even videos to show you how to take care of your babies

I am a 3 generation poultry farmer who knows most about predators and especially where i live we have tone of predators
What predators we have:
Mountain Lions
Bobcats
raccoon's
opossums
skunks
hawks
falcons
snakes
dogs
cats
rats
mice
crows
Please no arguing between each other as I am trying to help you. I am on here daily and can specifically get to the problem and tell you what you have going after your fowl.
Post pictures of your animals if attacked or an entry way that a predator has been getting in.

Recently we have lost two Silkie chickens and almost a third. I have no idea what type of predator it could be. I had a chicken taken around dusk before they even had a chance to go in the coop that night. Another was attack and sustained puncture wounds on one side, a large patch of flesh ripped out of the other side, and a broken leg. She survived and unfortunately I do not have any pictures because this happened several weeks ago. The other chicken was found in the next pasture along a fence line. The guts and insides had been eaten from the rear end. This is the second time our chickens have been attacked. The first time we only found a foot. We placed a game cam along the fence where the carcasses are always found however, despite weeks of checking the camera we have not been able to capture anything. We live in a very flat area which is almost entirely farm land. There are very few trees on our property but large wooded areas about three miles away. Any idea what type of predator we might be dealing with? Thanks and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank you. The first time it happened we only found a foot. I thought we might have interrupted whatever it was the second time and it didn't have a chance to completely finish the chicken. Does this sound like something a possum might do?

Quote:
If what your describing is correct it sounds like you have a red fox in the area. the puncture marks are from it trying to carry it and foxes have the tendency to eat the rear end first, i dont know why they eat what i guess is easier to get to. if you have a dog have is go around the property every day to get the scent around the property also if you have the room get at least 2 guinea fowl they are great protectors my small bantam got attacked by a falcon 2 days later i got a pair of guinea fowl and i haven't seen the falcons since! they are truly the donkeys of the flock hoped this helped!

We do have two large dogs. I will start taking them around the property when they need to go out. I was wondering what could be smart enough to avoid the game cam, a fox seems like a good candidate. I really don't like to kill things, do you know if its possible to trap a red fox in a live trap?

Back
Top Bottom