companion for 8 yr. old Khaki Campbell in PA

varainc

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2016
My female just lost her mate, they've been together her whole life and she needs a friend. I am hoping to find a female near her age anywhere within a 4 or 5 hour drive from S. Central PA. The farm I originally got her from in Gardiner, NY is no longer available.

I've never been on a forum, but would greatly appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

My female just lost her mate, they've been together her whole life and she needs a friend. I am hoping to find a female near her age anywhere within a 4 or 5 hour drive from S. Central PA. The farm I originally got her from in Gardiner, NY is no longer available.

I've never been on a forum, but would greatly appreciate any help I can get, thank you.
@varainc I am sorry for your loss. I just lost my oldest drake he was 11.

I think eventually your female would like having a new friend but you'll have to introduce slowly. by that I mean you can't bring home a new duck and just put her in the same yard as you resident duck. If you can you could have a temp area so they can live side by side but no contact. Might only take a few days of being like this then again it may take longer. Every duck is different. So yes give your female an new buddy just go about it slowly with patience and after they have lived side by side for 2-3 days try them together while you can be with them to see how they react to one another. Use treats as incentive to eat instead of pick on one another.They may take to each other right away or it may take awhile you'll know when they are ready to be together.

Welcome to BYC!

Is @cskotek around? I know we have a number of duck people in the area, just don't know who has any for rehoming.

There is a Free Rehoming forum, and a Where Am I Where Are You forum that is organized geographically.

Sad for your loss, prayers for finding a new friend. And an unbreakable mirror is a great comfort to grieving ducks sometimes.

Is @cskotek around? I know we have a number of duck people in the area, just don't know who has any for rehoming.

There is a Free Rehoming forum, and a Where Am I Where Are You forum that is organized geographically.

Sad for your loss, prayers for finding a new friend. And an unbreakable mirror is a great comfort to grieving ducks sometimes.

@MotorcycleChick lives in Pa. she may know of someone who has ducks also

@varainc
   I am sorry for your loss. I just lost my oldest drake he was 11.

I think eventually your female would like having a new friend but you'll have to introduce slowly. by that I mean you can't bring home a new duck and just put her in the same yard as you resident duck. If you can you could have a temp area so they can live side by side but no contact. Might only take a few days of being like this then again it may take longer. Every duck is different. So yes give your female an new buddy just go about it slowly with patience and after they have lived side by side for 2-3 days try them together while you can be with them to see how they react to one another. Use treats as incentive to eat instead of pick on one another.They may take to each other right away or it may take awhile you'll know when they are ready to be together.

Welcome to BYC!
Thank you for your replies! I have found an 8 yr old Indian Runner in MD. I was wondering if the 2 different species would bond. When I originally brought Remy (my girl) home to my male they bonded instantly. She honks at all the mallards that fly over and looks so sad when they go by!

@varainc

Welcome to BYC!
Thank you. I have a large safe pen, covered to the second floor of a deck with netting. There's a large pond in it, a small "dog" house and a night time locked house to sleep in. Unfortunately there's no way to separate it, I would guess I'd spend the day with them and if they didn't bond is have to bring the new duck inside. I guess I could build a temp pen with netting but it wouldn't be warm or safe enough to sleep.

@varainc

Welcome to BYC!
Thank you for your replies! I have found an 8 yr old Indian Runner in MD. I was wondering if the 2 different species would bond. When I originally brought Remy (my girl) home to my male they bonded instantly. She honks at all the mallards that fly over and looks so sad when they go by!

Breeds, not species, oops, just an old city girl with pet ducks!

Breeds, not species, oops, just an old city girl with pet ducks!
Yes as long as you get female I wouldn't bring home a large size drake like Muscovy or Pekin for her they are so heavy they may hurt her if mating. but you said another female so I'd think any breed would work although Muscovy being a different breed than other domestics may not speak her language. But they would probably figure it out in time.
smile.png

I agree that another breed will work. Let me know if you find you need another duck.
In my signature, you see the Pennsylvania walk thingy. It doesn't have all of the members, but it does give you an idea of where people live. I know that Sally sunshine is getting back into ducks again, and may already have some. A lot of us Pennsylvanians are actually getting into ducks this year.

She's an 8 yr. old Indian Runner whose done laying. I'm hoping they'll be best friends and I can go back to being human!
Thanks again for your input and sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom