Broody hen about to have chicks soon

Hooshie

Chirping
Jan 13, 2016
St. Louis County, MO
I have a broody hen with a clutch of 4 eggs. The problem is that my nesting box is 3+ ft off the ground. I tried to move the hen and the eggs to a nest on the ground but she got mad and pecked open on of her eggs. So I moved everything back up and she was content. I want to know what to do when the first chick hatches, what do I do with it and the rest of the eggs and momma.

Could you post a picture of your set up?
Usually Broody hens will wait till all the chicks are hatched then get up.
As long as she doesn't get up till the last chick is out you are fine.
Once she gets up move all babies and Mom to a safer area.
I once had a broody hen sit on eggs on a chest high shelf
She wouldn't let me move her but she stayed up there and hatched 3 babies.
One day 1 baby was missing we looked everywhere for the chick
hu.gif

The next day he was peeping behind the next box STUCK!.
We got him out and fed him, but he was so skinny and weak he didn't make it.
So make sure you don't have any cracks or crevices near her box where a baby could fall in and get stuck.
When is she due?

I won't have a pic of my setup til the morning but it is two cabinets laid on their back with the drawers facing up and the entrance is a hole through the "bottom". I'm worried that a chick will fall out and not be able to get back up. As well as trying to keep them in the box till they'll all be hatched. She is due in a week eta on the 12th. What about food and water while the others hatch?

I won't have a pic of my setup til the morning but it is two cabinets laid on their back with the drawers facing up and the entrance is a hole through the "bottom". I'm worried that a chick will fall out and not be able to get back up. As well as trying to keep them in the box till they'll all be hatched. She is due in a week eta on the 12th. What about food and water while the others hatch?
I would block the bottom entrance to the nest(can she still get out the top?-pics would help) when they start hatching...she'll stick tight to the nest until they all hatch.
Then unblock a day after they all hatch and provide some kind of nest on the floor for her to keep the chicks warm in.
Hopefully you have time to keep a close eye on things.

Let her hatch them where she is at. Hens generally do not take them off the nest for a few days, especially if there are unhatched eggs still. The day she hatches most of them, move her at night to where you want her to be. It's best if this area is within view of the flock, but separated so the flock can't bother the chicks and hen. Give her food and water at chick level, so she can teach them to eat and drink.

I let all of my broodies hatch where they choose to sit, then move them after hatch to private quarters. I've had a hen hatch chicks 8 feet up in an open shavings bag.

Back
Top Bottom