What Type of Predator Poop is This?? (Pics)

Little Byrd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Georgia
Hi, a predator must have come around my ducks' pen last night, because this morning I found fresh poop right outside the pen (thankfully not INside the pen).

It reminds me of the poop from the chihuahua I used to have. So maybe it's a predator around 7 pounds like my chihuahua. My entire yard is fenced, so it must be something that can climb. I suspect it may be a raccoon, possum, or a cat- I've seen them all near or in my neighborhood. Hopefully, it's not a raccoon :(.

or a cat-.
Cats will usually poo in soft dirt, and cover it over, rather than leave it on vegetation like that. It does look like a dog poo to me, but then I've never seen racoon poo. I think possum poo is like bunny poo, little round balls (at least for australian possums, I'm not sure whether your possums are the same thing as ours.)

Cats will usually poo in soft dirt, and cover it over, rather than leave it on vegetation like that.  It does look like a dog poo to me, but then I've never seen racoon poo.  I think possum poo is like bunny poo, little round balls (at least for australian possums, I'm not sure whether your possums are the same thing as ours.)

Well, I can cross cat and possum off my list...dang it! That leaves raccoon!:( I really hate raccoons and don't want them near my ducks.

Well, I can cross cat and possum off my list...
not necessarily. Cats CAN leave a poo exposed, but it's not their normal "thing", and I was curious after reading your post and looked up "possum poo". It's the pygmy possums that have the bunny poo, bigger possums have bigger poo....

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2007/09/26/2044094.htm

Those pictures all look green though.... The colour of yours doesn't look like the "doings" of a herbivore(although possum poo can be other colours, according to that article) . Are the cats around your area feral, or are there domestic cats there? Are you sure it's poo? It could be a cat "chuck-up" of kibble. They can be that weird reddish colour, it's the colour of the kibble.

What do raccoons eat? Are they meat eaters?

not necessarily.  Cats CAN leave a poo exposed, but it's not their normal "thing", and I was curious after reading your post and looked up "possum poo".  It's the pygmy possums that have the bunny poo, bigger possums have bigger poo.... 

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2007/09/26/2044094.htm

Those pictures all look green though.... The colour of yours doesn't look like the "doings" of a herbivore(although possum poo can be other colours, according to that article) .  Are the cats around your area feral, or are there domestic cats there?  Are you sure it's poo?  It could be a cat "chuck-up" of kibble.  They can be that weird reddish colour, it's the colour of the kibble.  

What do raccoons eat?  Are they meat eaters?

It is definitely poo. I took a whiff just to be sure and it smelled absolutely terrible. I've only seen one cat in 2 months and I don't know if it was someone's pet or not.

Back
Top Bottom