Help, sick duck

asmason

Hatching
Feb 8, 2016
My girl started acting odd over a week ago, wouldn't go in her house at night.I brought her in four days ago and have givenher antibiotics and kept her in the bathroom with periodically giving her a warm bath. She isn't wanting to eat anything for days. I thought I'd put her back out this morning and see I'd she'd eat with the boys. I noticed her back end. She has very bad balance. We thought she hadn't been laying but found 9 eggs hidden out yesterday. She hasn't laid since she's been inside. Any suggestions?? Don't want to lose her.

If you can get her to a vet, please do so.

She may be egg bound, in which case a long bath can help, and she would need extra calcium a.s.a.p.

I would crush a 250mg calcium citrate tablet and sprinkle it over a couple of tablespoons of thawed peas (my ducks' favorite treat). If you cannot get that, a Tums antacid will do in a pinch.

Then I would put half the tablet on peas twice a day for several days.

Be careful how you pick her up to avoid crushing any eggs that may be in there. She may also have a prolapse - a life-threatening condition that can be caused by being egg bound.

How are things now? I would keep her in where it's fairly warm.

My girl started acting odd over a week ago, wouldn't go in her house at night.I brought her in four days ago and have givenher antibiotics and kept her in the bathroom with periodically giving her a warm bath. She isn't wanting to eat anything for days. I thought I'd put her back out this morning and see I'd she'd eat with the boys. I noticed her back end. She has very bad balance. We thought she hadn't been laying but found 9 eggs hidden out yesterday. She hasn't laid since she's been inside. Any suggestions?? Don't want to lose her.

Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I had been trying the warm bath for several days and tried tums. I had read it on another forum. She passed last night. :'( her poo turned to blue liquid and then mucousy.

Back
Top Bottom