Please help with purchase advice - coop for 10-12 chickens, kit or pre-built, MA

gamayun

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2016
Hi everyone, sorry about asking a question asked a thousand times before, I hope someone could drop a quick line to share their experience.
I'm looking to buy a coop for 10-12 chickens max (I plan to start with 6). I live in MA (South Shore) and can't find anything I like locally. So I'm thinking about getting either a pre-built one or a kit. I have no problems assembling sheds, etc, I just don't have sufficient time to research plans, design and build one on my own from scratch. I can assemble a kit quickly.

So for options, I understand that for 12 chickens 48 sq ft coop ans 120 sq ft run is recommended (4/10 each). My budget is $2,500 including a run, excluding automatic door which I'd prefer to purchase separately or make myself.

I found this coop that looks OK: http://www.cottagekits.com/chickencoopinfo.htm from Little Cottage Company, 6x8 (under $2,000 for gambrel or colonial) seems to fit my budget and sizing but I haven't found a lot of reviews, the only reference I could find on this forum for this company is from 2011. So, if anyone has this coop and would be willing to share their thoughts - I'd appreciate it.

I plan to buy a walk-in run with roof (around 100 sq ft) separately, if anyone has recommendations for something that can be shipped - that would be great :)

I also really like 5x6 coop kit from Horizon Structures, but 1) it's too expensive at $2,300 not including the run, and 2) seems too small for what I need. And their 8x8 is nice but 2x my budget.

Any advise on these or other suitable options will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Have you considered modifying a shed? It might be more in your budget and you would only need some 2x4s and plywood for roosts and besting boxes

x2 You can usually save a lot of money by buying a shed and modifying it to add ventilation, a pop door, and whatever you want to do on the inside. Besides, some of the big box stores will even deliver it and set it up! As for a run, how about cattle panels? Cheap, easy to work with, easy to expand if you decide to make the run bigger, and super easy to maintain. That's what we did and it's held up to Wyoming winds and snow loads with no problems whatsoever!

You budget is about 3x what ours was, and I envy you! With what you'd save on the coop/run setup using a shed and cattle panel run, you could really do some great additional customizing!

I would shop around. I am building my own, 6x8 with a roof sloped from 7 foot tall in the front to 6 foot in the back. I priced the material at Lowes (the part touching the ground will be treated) and the interior will be not treated). The material is under $400.00. That does NOT include the metal roofing because I already have that. If you can't build it yourself I am sure you could find a local contractor to build something that size for you for less then $1000,00 in labor. I checked at my local Lowes store and they have sheds that will be built on your lot starting around $1000.00 for an 8x10. You could spend $500.00 on modifications and still be money ahead.

Check out Coopsforacause.net....they are in NH. We ordered ours from them when my hubby realized that it was just more cost effective and time saving to have it built by someone. Downside is that you have to plan a trip to pick it up. The site is pretty detailed and you can customize whatever you want. They are super helpful and accommodating (and donate to charities) I can answer questions about it if you want, and tell you what I was definitely happy I did, and what I wish I had added to my order....I think we spent about $1200 total including the large run. Well worth it in my opinion! The area we wanted to put it was sloped, so we built this platform for it with fill and sand...it also is in view of our neighborhood so we didn't want an eyesore.

Thanks everyone! Converting a shed is a great option but not best for me due to time required. I'm thinking about reducing a number of hens I plan for, to 7-8, that will get me closer to what I can handle :)

Kris, I looked at Coopsforacause coops and I really like them, especially runs, they are awesome, at 6' tall they seem easy to walk in and clean. And coops are good quality. The challenge is that I live 3 hour drive from them and don't have a truck, and they don't ship. I am considering renting a truck and then I can potentially pick it up and be close to what I'd like to spend.

Their 4x8 looks very nice. (But so does Horizon Structures 5x6).

My in-laws had a truck and trailer and did a day trip up there (2 hours from me)...they went up, had lunch, picked up the coop, and headed back before rush hour. So make a day trip out of it =)

I highly recommend getting the roof on the run...I was undecided but SO happy we did. It is almost clear, so the sunlight still comes through, but is great on rainy or snowy days, my run floor is still dry and the birds can still hang out in any weather. I only have 2 ducks and 5 hens....but I wish I went even bigger with the run- so I would recommend getting something as big as you can.

Thank you Kris, I have a trailer and checked out pickup truck rental rates, they are quite reasonable. Even with truck rental and 6x10 covered run and most extras on 4x8 it is less than getting 5x6 from Horizon without a run, so I think I'll give Jason a call to order one. 60 sq ft may be a bit small for 8 chickens, but there is some room under a coop so that may be OK.

Making it a day trip is a great idea, I can bring kids along and they'll likely enjoy it.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your time to comment here.

Last edited:
Thank you Kris, I have a trailer and checked out pickup truck rental rates, they are quite reasonable. Even with truck rental and 6x10 covered run and most extras on 4x8 it is less than getting 5x6 from Horizon without a run, so I think I'll give Jason a call to order one. 60 sq ft may be a bit small for 8 chickens, but there is some room under a coop so that may be OK.

Making it a day trip is a great idea, I can bring kids along and they'll likely enjoy it.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your time to comment here.

The area under the coop does add some extra space which is nice- it's more than you realize- and it's great on hot days; they dig in the dirt and lay in the shade under there- my hens love it under there...although right now it is packed with straw and it is where the 2 ducks sleep. The ONLY downside about that area is there is no access to it...If I could do it over, I would have them add a door or something to the end so it is easier to reach/clean. I have to reach underneath with a long rake right now...not a huge deal but my ducks make a mess so it can be tough getting their GIANT messy poops out. But with all chickens, I bet life would be much easier.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom