New to site

Why hello there, and
welcome-byc.gif

Do you have a flock yourself?

Well I jumped the gun before we were ready. Got 5 hens supposed to be 1yr old and a rooster. And a guinea. Got them temp housing for now. But we have not gotten any eggs yet and the rooster isn't crowing. It crowed the first day but nothing since.

highfive.gif
Well you're already in for a ride then... We didn't have a actual coop when we bought our flock (6 hens 1 roo) we just set up a chain-link kennel and covered the top with metal roofing. Our rooster did take a while to start crowing but didn't crow incessantly, which was nice. The hens started laying soon because it was nice summer sun and temps, the cold will probably take your girls for a little longer.

What breed(s) do you have?

Hi and welcome to BYC. It looks like you took a leap in at the deep end. I'm sure that you will find this site a great resource for getting yourself sorted out. The learning centre is a great place to start, along with your state thread (just type your state in the search box) as well as the members.

All the best

CT

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your hens may not be laying yet because it's winter. As spring approaches with longer daylight hours, they should start up. It is also very stressful for chickens to be moved - when they feel secure in a new location they will act more like "chickens."

Oh yeah. You're swimming hard for the deep end.

Like you, I had chickens before I had the coop. House
chickens at that. Woke up to chickens on our brand new
couch, our tables...That might of been a poor plan on my
half.

But we all learn.

And I hope you enjoy hanging out and learning with us. One
thing about chickens, there is always something to learn.
Meanwhile, enjoy the show.

Spook

Back
Top Bottom