How much to charge for fresh eggs?

dg14

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
I live in a pretty rural area, a residential neighborhood and we get newsletters every month, i was just wondering how much would you charge for a dozen eggs, or even for 2 dozen? I have no job right now so money is getting tight. and chicken feed isnt the most expensive. currently im cleaning stalls for 20 dollars a week. yes i did say a week. so i have just enough to feed myself and the chickens honestly,

On another note, is it normal for chickens to change pecking order after their molt? i kid you, so i have 5 chickens
Dusty (always been thetop hen)
Goldy (who i got at the same time
there pretty much best friends.
then after about 6 months i got 3 more
teller blue and show.
after the molt the pecking order the went
Dusty,
goldy,teller
show
blue
Weird thing is blue was ALWAYS 2nd to last and shwo was almost the most vulerable and teller was the demon of them all shes still very bitter torwards everyone especially to dusty but goldy
my buff orpington who is a bantam mind you, stands up to her its quite funny since teller is like 2x her size LOL

Charge what the area will pay. Around here, W central NJ, I see eggs for sale from $2.50 to $4.50 per dozen.

The pecking order is a fluid thing - those at the bottom are always looking for an opportunity to improve their position. During the molt higher ranked birds may be more vulnerable to be knocked down a peg or two.

I try to keep my price about the same as the going rate at the local grocery store. I charge .50 cents extra if the person doesn't have an egg carton to exchange. All I try to cover is the cost of food and bedding though. Mine are pets to me not a source of income. Although I wish they would support me lol

I'm trying to figure out how much to sell them for too. I only feed my birds non-gmo Amish feed. That's got to count for something right? I'm also starting to get a pretty rainbow of colors. I know an egg is an egg but they are so pretty!
1f61c.png

I live in a pretty rural area, a residential neighborhood and we get newsletters every month, i was just wondering how much would you charge for a dozen eggs, or even for 2 dozen? I have no job right now so money is getting tight. and chicken feed isnt the most expensive. currently im cleaning stalls for 20 dollars a week. yes i did say a week. so i have just enough to feed myself and the chickens honestly,
Figure out how much you're spending on feed and bedding and any other supplies....base your egg price to more than cover those.
I sell for 3.50/dz and it covers all my feed and bedding.

I am also unemployed and the chicken goal was that they have to pay their way and all the eggs I can eat....after 2 years it's worked out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom