What should i do?

dg14

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
One of my chickens waddles has been swollen for probobly almost a year now, i feel so bad, i cant find anyone to come and help me/her out. its getting quite frustrating as it should be gone by now. shes acting fine. it doest weight her down at all (no pun intended)

This may sound weird, but what does it feel like? Is it squishy or hard? Does it feel granular? Is it warm to the touch? My guess is that it is the result of an old infection or it's some type of tumor (most likely benign).

If it has been like this for a year and isn't increasing in size, I would just leave it be. If you go messing around with it you could cause the old infection (if that's what it was) to flare up or even cause a new one...

This may sound weird, but what does it feel like? Is it squishy or hard? Does it feel granular? Is it warm to the touch? My guess is that it is the result of an old infection or it's some type of tumor (most likely benign).

If it has been like this for a year and isn't increasing in size, I would just leave it be. If you go messing around with it you could cause the old infection (if that's what it was) to flare up or even cause a new one...

its firm. not squishy at all. i've checked in case something was in there over and over and nothing. shes a very healthy hen. the others havent gotten sick. shes not slow at all. its just sad to see her like that cuz i dont want her to die from it D:

At this point in time, I would say it's purely a cosmetic issue. Any kind of abscess would have burst by now and any aggressive tumor would be much larger. Maybe take a measurement of it (how many mm is it in diameter) and check it again in 3-6 months. If it has gotten significantly larger, like doubled in size, you may want to remove it at some point. If it doesn't get any larger, I would leave it be and just accept she will have an ugly waddle. Don't fret, it is not life-threatening :)

Back
Top Bottom