Lost Lady

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
Hi Everyone! I was recently walking my dog where I live and out of nowhere comes this young hen running across the road in front of me. I was at a major redlight in the town I live in and here was this young hen. I could not believe my eyes, a hen running loose like a stray dog or cat. So I hurried to catch her before she got hit by a car. I caught her quickly and was amazed to see how little she weighed, way in the area of malnutrition. I knocked on several doors in the area to find the owner, bur no luck. Everyone seemed amazed she was in this area. So I hurried her home and fed her and put her in a coop with a single hen and it was like they were related because there was little dispute. After 10 days I turned her out in one of my larger coops and she is doing well. So I believe the Lost Girl has found a home! Just a friendly reminder do a head count each day in your coops to keep such a situation from occurring. Luckily the Lost Girl has a happy ending, a lasting home!

Aw that's nice that you saved her. Glad she's doing well.
smile.png

Hi Everyone! I was recently walking my dog where I live and out of nowhere comes this young hen running across the road in front of me. I was at a major redlight in the town I live in and here was this young hen. I could not believe my eyes, a hen running loose like a stray dog or cat. So I hurried to catch her before she got hit by a car. I caught her quickly and was amazed to see how little she weighed, way in the area of malnutrition. I knocked on several doors in the area to find the owner, bur no luck. Everyone seemed amazed she was in this area. So I hurried her home and fed her and put her in a coop with a single hen and it was like they were related because there was little dispute. After 10 days I turned her out in one of my larger coops and she is doing well. So I believe the Lost Girl has found a home! Just a friendly reminder do a head count each day in your coops to keep such a situation from occurring. Luckily the Lost Girl has a happy ending, a lasting home!
It is wonderful that you saved a little hen.

It can be dangerous to your other chickens to introduce anyone new -- and generally a full month of quarantine is advised to protect your existing flock from any disease that a new comer may have.

Someone sent this absolutely darling link to me -- I don't do facebook - so otherwise I never would have seen it -- but when you mentioned the hen at the red light -- it came to mind -- Maybe she was on her way to work -- just sayin'.
wink.png

Punctuality is important to an... - Bobby Thankachen Kodumon | Facebook

I saw a beautiful hen beside a highway one time -- and was as worried that chasing her to catch her could cause her to run into the road -- as it could be that she would be caught. Hopefully your big heart will pay off in dividend of extra eggs for you and your family.

I'm glad your new girl is working out for you. Poor thing, must have been scared to death.

x2 on ChicKat's mention of a quarantine period before putting new birds into your existing flock. Keep it in mind the next time you find yourself at the red light with a lost chicken!

I appreciate all the comments. I do know about the quarantine, but she was doing so well that I made the decision to move her early into the larger coop.

It sounds like things are going well and she has found a good home.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom