Cochin decided to go broody, easiest way to break her?

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
I have a small flock of 3 bantam pullets: one silkie, one cochin, and one Serama. The Serama being the leader. Because it is cold outside, they have been living in our basement, having access to a good-sized room as their run, and a dog crate, which they roost on top of and lay eggs inside. Recently, the cochin has decided to go broody on no eggs. The Serama has gone broody before, but was easily broken by taking away the eggs. We don't have a rooster and also don't really want to hatch eggs. She is proving to be much more difficult to break than our Serama, and even if we cut her off from the crate, she will sit on top of it instead. Additionally, the irritable Serama has been picking on the cochin for taking up her favorite nesting spot. Overall, the flock has become very tense. This is the 2nd night of the cochin being broody, and I'd rather not separate her from the flock unless I have to.

What is the easiest way to stop this?

Thanks!

Put the Cochin in a wire bottomed crate off the ground so her bottom cools off for around 3 days, some stubborn ones take 5.

Your Cochin will be stubborn about being broken from her broodiness. I have one that goes broody about every two months - just came out of a broody spell now. I'd plan on the full five days that the OP mentioned in her post :).
hmm.png

My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.

Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.

Back
Top Bottom