3 weeks old. Comb size.

RachaelR32

Chirping
Dec 30, 2015
I have 7 chicks that are 3 weeks old between today and Saturday. One of them has a much bigger comb than the others. Is this likely to be a boy? They are a farmyard mix from unknown parents. The one with the big comb is the only speckled one. What chance that the others are girls or is it too early to tell?

This one is a bantam.

Given the size of the comb at only 3 weeks, I'm thinking that the top chick on the left side is a cockerel and I'm suspicious that the top chick on the right side is as well. I don't see anything screaming cockerel with the rest, but they are still to young to sex with any certainty of accuracy. I would suggest re-posting their pics in about 5-6 weeks. By then their gender should be much more obvious.

Given the size of the comb at only 3 weeks, I'm thinking that the top chick on the left side is a cockerel and I'm suspicious that the top chick on the right side is as well. I don't see anything screaming cockerel with the rest, but they are still to young to sex with any certainty of accuracy. I would suggest re-posting their pics in about 5-6 weeks. By then their gender should be much more obvious.
I agree.

Top right I'm suspicious of as well, plus the other black one that didn't want its picture taken. I'm planning to keep 1 cockerel so if I have more than 1 it'll be a contest where the winner takes all and the rest are dinner. Although I could potentially keep a second in with my brahmas for now, until I get a brahma roo.

I'm really hoping for at least 4 girls to go with the boy thats staying with this lot.

Top right I'm suspicious of as well, plus the other black one that didn't want its picture taken. I'm planning to keep 1 cockerel so if I have more than 1 it'll be a contest where the winner takes all and the rest are dinner. Although I could potentially keep a second in with my brahmas for now, until I get a brahma roo.

I'm really hoping for at least 4 girls to go with the boy thats staying with this lot.

It's like the chicken version of the Hunger Games lol!

One thing I look at to determine roosters from hens at this age is the earlobes. Usually a rooster will have bald earlobes while the hens will have feathers covering their earlobes so for sure the top left photo is a rooster.

X2

It's like the chicken version of the Hunger Games lol!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom