Hello from Northwestern Illinois

chas22chas

Hatching
Feb 11, 2016
Sterling, IL
Just stopping in to introduce myself and say hi. First time giving a whirl at raising chickens. These boards and threads have been very helpful in researching everything about chickens for a first timer. Found some great tips, tricks and advice on here and I'm sure I'll be learning a lot more. I just got in my first shipment of chicks yesterday. They shipped 27 but lost 2 before they arrived. The remaining 25 are doing fantastic though.
Look forward to learning a lot here.

Here's the babies before they were put in the brooder.

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC. Its good to know that you have found BYC to be a useful resource in the past and i hope it continues to be so in the future. Maybe checking out your state thread may be a good idea as it may put you in touch with other members in your locality.

Congrats on your new chicks!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

What a cute picture! Tell us a bit about them, it's always fun to read about another members flock.

It's nice to have you here!

Thanks! They are super cute.

Here's the list of babies that I got:

2 - Silver Laced Wyandotte
2 - Golden Laced Wyandotte
2 - Barred Rock
2 - Black Australorp
2 - Buff Orpington
3 - Easter Eggers
2 - New Hampshire Red
10 - Broilers

I have the layers in one brooder and the broilers in another one right next to them. They are doing pretty well. I think i'm going to lose another broiler today though. I think they had a really stressful trip here in shipping I think. They shipped 27, but 2 were DOA, then last night i lost one layer, then this morning there was one broiler and one layer dead. I knew they were going to go. I had been watching them close and they were much smaller and I could tell they weren't going to make it. I tried to help them, but there's only so much you can do.

Other than that, everyone else is doing great and running around like little maniacs in there. Hopefully after today we should be in the clear and everyone else should survive. I'll have 13 layers and 8 broilers then.

Here is the only one I've named so far. She's the only one i can tell apart from any of the others. My friend Jodi named her Yolko Ono....lol

"Yolko Ono" is a great name! The chick is very cute.

Wishing you lots of luck with all of them!

Back
Top Bottom