Mallard Duck

My Mallard

Hatching
Feb 11, 2016
I have a beautiful Mallard duck that lives on my pond and a small island in the pond. He was there when I bought the property and he never tries to leave. Don't know how long he has been there but he seems very happy. I have begun feeding him scratch from the local co-op. I know nothing about keeping a duck but since I have him, I want to make him
happy. Occasionally he has visitors such as Canadian Geese or Herron's. They visit for a few hours then leave but he remains there. I have seen him flap his wings and travel across the pond but I have never seen him actually fly. I'm wondering if he is unable to fly? Also I am wondering if he could be a hybrid that isn't able to fly. I worry about him
not having any protection although he seems happy on the little island. Should I try to get a floating house for him? I
live in North Alabama and it does get cold here. Being a wild duck, I assume he can take care of himself.
Anyone with a suggestion for caring for my new friend would be appreciated.

If he is unable to fly he is particularly susceptible to predators. If, as you guess, he is a hybrid domestic-wild, that might explain it, or he may have an injury.

It's a good question - how might you be able to provide him more safety than he has?

Back
Top Bottom