Color differences

benandsarah

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
Alabama
Does the color difference mean anything? They are the same age and same breed. RIR. One is slightly bigger but had much much more yellow color. The smaller one has very dominate red brown from the neck down. Is it a male/female thing?

Since RIRs (or Production Reds) are not sex linked nor an auto sexing breed, the color means nothing where gender is concerned. However, given the size and redness its comb, I'm thinking the chick on the left is a cockerel.

I think what you're seeing is the male chick being slower to feather out. It's not a great picture, but I think the bird on the left still has a lot of yellow chick down. They'll be the same color in a few more weeks.

Thanks for all the good info. There are only 2 in my flock that are "late feathering" and the happen to be the two largest. These two happened to come out of the 5 free straight run chickens the store gave me when I purchased my pullets and feed. I'll post more pics in a couple weeks.... Thanks all!

Thanks for all the good info. There are only 2 in my flock that are "late feathering" and the happen to be the two largest. These two happened to come out of the 5 free straight run chickens the store gave me when I purchased my pullets and feed. I'll post more pics in a couple weeks.... Thanks all!

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom