Help chicks tail feathers gone blood

jonnygiant

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
Cape may county, NJ
Hello all. I was doing a brooder inspection and noticed my one girls tail feathers were gone and she's bleeding. I put triple antibiotic on her. Any suggestions on to covering it so the other chicks leave it alone? Also any idea what caused it?

Poor thing. Can you section off your brooder with wire/screen for her for the night?

They make several products you can paint the wound with to discourage pecking ( I think Blue kote is one of them).

Poor thing. Can you section off your brooder with wire/screen for her for the night?

They make several products you can paint the wound with to discourage pecking ( I think Blue kote is one of them).
I agree, you may want to separate her so she can heal. I would make a section with chicken wire or something similar so she can still see them.
She has been plucked well.
How much space in the brooder?
How many chicks?
Are they all the same age?
Is food/water available at all times?
What temps are the brooder, do they have room to get away from the lamp and each other?
Bluekote can help hide the redness and has antiseptic properties.

Hi rooster booster brand peck no more helps the wound heal and they will only peck once after that this stuff smells so bad to the bird they won't peck again! it really works! I've used it on my chicks in the past. feed store usually has it in stock.hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think it was my fault. She had pasty butt and I cleaned her and didn't dry her all the way and I think they may have attack the vent area bc of the pink from washing. This is my first set of baby chicks definitely learn some lessons. I will get cover up today for her.

X2. Blue-Kote Wound Spray works great. It cover wounds so they other chicks don't peck at it. The TSC in my area has the in stock. Good luck.

Blu-Kote Wound Spray. I use it on chicks to adults and it works great and has saved many a bird. Keep her back end covered so they don't keep pecking. I had an Amber White who was beat up pretty badly 3 years ago and I kept her covered. Her back end grew malformed because of how badly they beat her up, but she lays eggs regularly and she has a completely normal life even today. Her name is Ethel.

Hello jonnygiant,
I am very sorry to hear about your poor peep. Having the ability to quarantine/segregate your birds will be very helpful in this and many other cases as others have already recommended. Please be certain that your brooder space is large enough for the number of chickens living in it. If they get bored or cannot move to get far enough away from a bully pecking will happen. It gets worse the less activities your birds have access to. It is easy to make a jungle gym out of little cardboard boxes and dowel rods/any small wooden poles. The chick enjoy roosting on an elevated location and it can help then avoid the 'rat race' of their siblings when they'd prefer some relative solitude.

I believe I have enough space. I have 25 chickens and they have almost a full 4 X 8 area of brooder space I sticks from the yard in there. They play on them all the time. They are starting to fly from one end of the brooder to the other. They are growing so fast. I did get some cover up lotion for her and that seems to work. I don't know which one is the bully for say. Their is one that everytime I try and do work in there she runs over and pecks my finger. Thank you for all the replies. In future I will have a secondary brooder area for weak and injured birds so I can separate.

Back
Top Bottom