Smelly Chicken Smells - HELP!

Maires

Hatching
Feb 10, 2016
I respect the enthusiasm your community has for raising chickens. I need your help, though. I don't have chickens but my neighbor does. We live "upwind" of them in a suburban neighborhood outside of Sacramento CA and, unfortunately, the smell of chicken poop is horrendous (think "gag reflex"). I have talked with them about the problem to no avail. Is there a product they could use to mitigate the problem? I would buy it! Pls advise.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Sorry that you are having to deal with this. Responsible chicken owners/fanciers clean frequently enough that odor is minimal. Do you have any idea as to how many chickens they have?

I'm guessing they have 8 or 9. I finally heard back from a supplier who recommended diatomaceous earth or agricultural lime. My neighbors are going to get a gift bag of one of those!

DE doesn't do much of anything. I don't know if lime would bother the chickens. I know some stables use something called Stall dri or PDZ and chicken folks use it also. It's supposed to work on smell.

I find using dry grass clippings and leaves works well in the coop to keep odours at bay. Maybe next time you mow the lawn you could give them some?

CT

I'm guessing they have 8 or 9. I finally heard back from a supplier who recommended diatomaceous earth or agricultural lime. My neighbors are going to get a gift bag of one of those!

drumstick diva is right, DE won't work but PDZ or Stall Dry will 'help'.....It works on the ammonia in the poop, I use it & love it. It's terrible your neighbors are so inconsiderate! Are the chickens confined or loose? CTKen is right too, if they toss grass clippings, dead leaves and /or pine shavings in the run, it helps too.

Not sure which is worst chicken poop or dog, my neighbor's got 7 big dogs & don't pick up poop. The dogs aren't in the best of health, I've see diarrhea & vomiting, when they run it over with the lawn mower
1f635.png
it's horrible! I know your pain! I've gotten to the point so sprinkling air freshner (the oil type) when it gets bad & the wind changes. I've told them but....Next step would be the Board of Health but it will surely cause problems between neighbors.

I find using dry grass clippings and leaves works well in the coop to keep odours at bay. Maybe next time you mow the lawn you could give them some?

CT
Search deep litter on this forum and then get them started with leaves and lawn clippings. You could even hire a couple of kids to clean their pen once and awhile under the guise of wanting the litter to compost for your garden. All about turning problems into solutions.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom