Hen's skin got ripped off

Chickenchick11

Carpe Diem
9 Years
So I went out to the coop this morning and noticed that a chunk of skin was missing off of my RSL hen's back. The underlying tissues do not seem to be damaged. What should I do to clean and help heal the wound?

Last edited:
Gently Clean it with an Epsom salt and water mixture. Then add blu cote. It is a spray that cleans the wound and turns it blue I prevent pecking. It's sorta like a spray on band aid. You can also get peck-no-more if she pecks at it. It should scab over in a few days. Best of luck!

Last edited:
It depends on how deep the wound is. If it is just skin that's gone it should be fine. If there is a chunk of meat missing,id say no. This past Tuesday my RIR hen and rooster got attacked by my dog. Their wounds are the similar except they have no tail feathers (they got bitten off
1f601.png
) I put blu cote on both after I cleaned it up an they are both
out free ranging with my other chickens now.the very tip of her tail has no skin

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Roxy, Bella! :( :hugs
I'd clean the area with saltwater and keep her partially separate from the other chickens (maybe in a spare run?). Keep an eye on the wound to make sure it's healing well and to make sure it doesn't get infected.
I don't know what Blu-Kote is, but I wouldn't use it if you aren't sure about it.
Hope she gets better soon!

Last edited:
Thank you both! I ended up cleaning the wound and putting triple antibiotic ointment on it. Then I put a non-stick gauze pad on the wound and tied it on with some cheesecloth because I couldn't find any gauze, and she was picking at it. Oh and I put her in a pet porter in the coop so she can see the other chickens but they can't peck her.

Last edited:
Bella, I am so sorry! :hugs Looks like you did a good job bandaging her up! I hope she make a full recovery!! :)

Back
Top Bottom