Houston - Free Grown Ducks, Just Come and Get Them

HoustonChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 1, 2010
I'm in Houston, midway between downtown and Humble. I need to de-duck my yard of about 30 grown ducks, Muscovy, from what I'm told. Black and white, white, with red on the males' faces. I need to rehome them to someone with a pond. I do not want them taken to be killed for meat. They're mostly pets that expect a treat daily. Population has gotten out of hand and new ducklings are showing up. I do not have pens to hold them so catching them in daylight is something that I've not been successful at! Anyone have a horse trailer that you'd like to load up?

I have a pond but haven't built a shelter over there yet, wouldn't take much though. I am not much of a chicken wrangler so not sure how great I would be at duck wrangling! :) Have you tried a large fishing net yet? I could take a few of each sex if you are still looking for a home for them. We have 9 acres in New Caney and a good sized pond.

dinydeek,
Would you be willing to come from New Caney to get ducks? I live just off the Eastex freeway, about 15 minutes south of Humble. We have tried to catch them with a big fishing net but once they all get excited, they can outrun us and they FLY. The easiest would be at night when they seem to be grounded. Do you have a way to take them home? I do not have any sort of cage. If you let me know how many males and females, we could round them up and hold them overnight. They choose to roost on the ground, so I wouldn't worry about having to have a shelter. Please let me know, and thanks.

I have a large dog crate that fits in our SUV.. easily could take 4-5 and maybe another depending on their size. The drive isn't too bad for us on a weekend. If you would be willing to catch them I would be thrilled and as long as a couple of each sex it would be great. Do you supplement with poultry feed? Or do they fend for themselves? The pond is a wealth of bugs, fish and frogs and we have about an acre of swampy area they could forage to their hearts content. We don't mind supplementing with feed but want to be prepared. We do have coyotes out here so need to read a little first before I bring them to the pond to see if there is something I can do to help them avoid the coyotes- there are tons of tree's all around the pond so they have that... I will send you a note back later today if that is okay?

The hubby says no to that type of duck :-( Has family in florida who has had a heck of a time with them taking over an entire neighborhood. I do hope you find a good home for them though.

dinydeek,
Back to the drawing board. They took over a neighborhood? These started several years ago when brought in by new neighbors 2 yards down, then some flew in to my vacant yard next door. Ducklings! So cute! Then more and more. Then they flew into my yard and started more ducklings.I always vow to walk the yard to try and find the nests hidden out to get fresh duck eggs, but obviously I don't try hard enough. This morning, in the dark, I had to leave for work with poop on the roof of my car from one roosting overnight. Gee, I don't make my offer of "free" sound very enticing, do I?! I'd like to keep some females for eggs, but I have to break this cycle soon. Let me know if you reconsider!

Exactly where are you located? I live in Cut N Shoot and my Husband and I have caught many free roaming birds in the past. I am an Agriculture teacher always looking for new animals that I can share with my students and eggs we can hatch. I would love to come and get them on Saturday if you could let me know a few details. Bonny Martin 936 524 6832 (text is best) or [email protected] Thank you

I would gladly take a drake and 3 to 5 hens, and/or any extra fertile eggs that havent been refrigerated. I live in Indiana though, So they would have to be shipped, unless someone is traveling halfway close. I would be able to travel up to a couple hours away. I would be willing to go in on shipping costs. These would be for pets and I would probably sell extra eggs we dont eat or hatch ourselves, but I would not be using for meat.

I have a duck that I'm rehoming. Ibe been having him for years. I bought him some buddies but they all died. I want him to go to a sweet home.

Back
Top Bottom