Black Copper Maran Pullet or Roo

emcook

Songster
Apr 6, 2016
3 week old Black Copper Maran. I am a total and complete newb concerning chickens and have no clue the sex of this chick. I'ved googled and searched forums for indicators to look for, and garnered a guess, but would love to hear what those more experienced
think. Thank you all so much! This chick, and 4 others, is my first foray into raising chickens and I'm so excited!!!

That is what I thought too! I wasn't planning on having a rooster, but looks like I'm going to! His comb and wattles are very light that's what gave me hope it would be a pullet, but it is pretty pronounced and he has big feet! Thank you all!

That is what I thought too! I wasn't planning on having a rooster, but looks like I'm going to! His comb and wattles are very light that's what gave me hope it would be a pullet, but it is pretty pronounced and he has big feet! Thank you all!
Well if it makes you feel any better, my little Black Copper Maran is three weeks old today as well, and he's looking a LOT more roostery than yours. His comb turned pink and those little wattles appeared on day 15,. Doesn't mean yours isn't a roo, but I think you might still have a glimmer of hope. Mine hatched on March 17th, and I've already changed his name from Patsy to Patrick.

I'm thinking his little buddy Lulu is of the cockerel persuasion as well.

Awe, look how handsome your fella is! His comb is so pink! Question does your guy have long tail feathers like this? And that thread is the first one I found when I was researching! Thank you!

Awe, look how handsome your fella is! His comb is so pink! Question does your guy have long tail feathers like this? And that thread is the first one I found when I was researching! Thank you!
Wow - that IS a long tail! Mine started sprouting a tail right away, but it's more wide and fluffy. I've read that the girls will have longer tails. Hoping that's what you have!

I thought it was too! But being totally new at this I wasn't sure! He/she is the only BCM chick that I have and I don't have anything to compare to. I guess it's a wait and see. Do you have other BCMs? I'm totally obsessed with those gorgeous dark eggs! Oh, I found this on a Maran chicken breeder page. Pics of 3 week old male and female.

Here is a picture of my six week old pullet,Queenie, she looked like yours at three weeks and her comb never changed and her tail was long. At first she kind of looked like a roo because her comb was bigger than my other chicks, also some people told me they were sure she was a roo because of her feather coloring but every feather has come in about now and she is almost completely black, no signs of copper and no long hackle feathers!

Back
Top Bottom