Stay Dry platform for water for ducks and chicks in the brooder !

HotrodCowgirl

Hatching
Apr 8, 2016
Taadaa ! I made a brooder for the water and food for the baby duckies and chicks :)

Now when they splash and play in the water it falls down in the plastic tote bin.

#brooder #baby #ducks #chicks #platform #water

No more water mess ! They figured it out :)

I like this kind from Walmart there more stout and they have a 1/2" square lip on the top "which helps keep the mess inside the container". Just cut out the inside 2 pieces but leave the center and outsides for strength.

The smaller hole hardware cloth from tractor supply.

After I cut out the inside plastic pieces I cut out 2 pieces of hardware cloth "most of them on Pinterest just had one but I wanted to be safe"

Then I stapled all the way around the inside.

I put more staples in with the second piece of hardware cloth. Which is Wierd that they call it cloth cause it's wire lol.

I pushed the staples all in tight

Now we have a wonderful row of little pokies !

It took a while lol

Whola now we won't get a surprise every time we take off the lid !

Ok now I taped the inside edges over the staples so they don't cut up their feet :)

It's pretty tall for the little guys right now so I leveled it in the center and added shavings around it so they don't get stuck on the side.

And they like it ! And I love it no more cleaning out all the shavings in the brooder twice a day :) !!!!!

I really like this ,I have ducklings and chicks hatching soon so this will work for keeping the water from wetting their bedding. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the solution and the instructions!
We have 4 Welsh Harlequins, a week old. First time we have ducklings. They weren't kidding when they said "the mess is going to be a lot worse than you can imagine". The mess was so bad today, I was hoping someone had figured out how to keep them somewhat dry! Will go shopping for the bin and hardware cloth tomorrow and make myself one. Good thing the ducklings are so adorable :)

We have 2 flat coated retrievers, a cat and now 4 Welsh Harlequin ducklings.

Taadaa ! I made a brooder for the water and food for the baby duckies and chicks
smile.png

Now when they splash and play in the water it falls down in the plastic tote bin.

#brooder #baby #ducks #chicks #platform #water

No more water mess ! They figured it out
smile.png

I put more staples in with the second piece of hardware cloth. Which is Wierd that they call it cloth cause it's wire lol.
Nice Job!!

It's kinda flexible like cloth...but you're right...some places it's called rat wire.

Back
Top Bottom