Where should I keep my 20-30 future coturnix quails?

Lydiaa

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 18, 2016
I bought 80 coturnix quails on Friday, the shipment started on Saturday and has nothing updated until Mondy. So are they just sitting there? I still did not recieve them. It's about 80+ degrees here so I'm not sure if they would start to develop.

Anyways, if I hatch them (I plan to incubate 48) and I highly doubt the hatch rate. Where should I keep them? I want to keep them inside my house (I live in the basement) but the only place I could keep them is the storage room under the stars or pipe room which are completely enclosed. The main concern is the smell. Or I could put them outside in a two floor cage but I'm scared of them getting diseases from flies and bugs.

Let me know your suggestions.
Thanks

You cannot keep 80 quail in your house, that would be miserable for you and the quail. Yes they will smell. I keep a single sick chick in my house occasionally and they stink up my house. Quail naturally live outside, fly's and other insects will not bother them the quail will happily gobble up any they can catch. The cage is definitely the way to go after a short stay in a brooder to feather out (not sure how long quail take to feather chicks take 4 weeks)
And the post office is terrible about updating their tracker, the eggs are not sitting there, they just have not updated.

There is a thread from several years ago about keeping quail indoors, we looked at it for our little rescue chick because he's a singleton and quite sickly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/559282/how-to-keep-quail-indoors

I agree with the other poster about not keeping 80 indoors, however. The smell would be awful. Even with a HEPA filter, I have to change the bedding on our sick bird as well as mop/wipe down with Dr. Bronner's daily so that our apartment doesn't have a musty barn odor - and that is with one juvenile bird!

There's a another thread here by someone from Washington state about their wonderful outdoor aviary, and several more with examples of using short hutches etc for them. And, if I recall correctly, the person with the outdoor aviary (who has only 20ish quail) had to add something to their substrate to deal with the odor!

Thanks for the reply! I have kept them in my garage in a two floored cage. I have 18 (4 male) right now. They are all doing very well and laying ~8 eggs per day.

Back
Top Bottom